Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a while yet before getting pregnant with our second, but I am planning some changes in our sleep arrangement. We have, of course, continue to make changes now with DS as the needs arise. I was curious if others made different plans for their 2nd/3rd or more children.

What we did this time:
bassinet (baby no interest)
change to baby right next to me.
baby never slept in crib (in our room)
side carred our crib (baby never slept in it, but we adults did) :LOL
replaced the side car with a twin so that we have a queen and a twin
DH usually sleeps in twin
We plan on DS to eventually move to twin and DH and I sleep on queen

What I plan to change:
borrow a co-sleeper (not buy because I have doubts about it) so that baby can sleep beginning of nights in it (not sure if it will work, and really don't care)
when baby is a bit bigger, side car a safe daybed to queen (replacement of crib)
so that an adult can sleep more easily in the side car (I expect DH will sleep there)
DS will continue to sleep in twin on other side of queen

Most importantly ****remember that babies don't always want to sleep and to be RELAXED about it. So many nights we struggled with our non-sleeper, next time I want to just hang out with the baby in another room and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo
Most importantly ****remember that babies don't always want to sleep and to be RELAXED about it. So many nights we struggled with our non-sleeper, next time I want to just hang out with the baby in another room and enjoy it.
This is definitely the most important change I made after struggling with sleep issues with dd#1. Now I (mostly!) give in and just go with the flow
Makes life way nicer.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I agree with the OP and the previous poster...it's so important to just accept your baby as is and go with the flow. I sure learned that lesson with our two kids, and I'll know better if there is a third.

Looking back, I was pretty happy with the way things went sleep-wise with dd so I thought we'd do the same thing and that therefore, things would go the same way with ds. HAH! He immediately set about proving that he was a very different baby than dd and that if we wanted any sleep we were going to have to do it his way. I was stressed about it in the beggining, but then I loosened up and accepted the situation for what it was. Still though, in looking back I wish I hadn't gone into it with ANY preconceived plans of how I wanted to do things because in the end, it all depends on the individual baby.

·
Registered
698 Posts
We had a co-sleeper the first time and ds would not sleep in it. Or the crib... or anywhere but our bed. :LOL
This time we stuck with the same setup and dd actually likes her bassinet (co-sleeper). She usually starts in there and ends up the night with us.
So really she made the decisions for us!
ITA about being more relaxed about it this time as well. It's easier on everyone!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.