Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the color ways that Lorna's Lace has but the price tag still has me

I was thinking of maybe buying some silk yarn from here and dyeing it myself. Thoughts?

I need a project for when I am in in NC for 3 wks and "ze Clap" seems like a perfect thing.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I did mine in Noro Sarubia #13. I don' think that Sarubia is being made anymore though. I found it at my very small lys.

have you checked out the yahoo clapotis group?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Good question! I have been hunting for the right yarn, myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess
knitpicks Shimmer
Hmm, did you use it held double? Do you have a pic of yours?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Pancake...did you use two strands held together or just one of the Shimmer? I am considering using sock weight yarn and thought I'd do two held together...watching attentively as this thread unfolds.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by frogger
I did mine in Noro Sarubia #13. I don' think that Sarubia is being made anymore though. I found it at my very small lys.

have you checked out the yahoo clapotis group?
Clapotis yahoo group... who knew there was such a thing?! Off to see what they have to say over there... I'll let you know what I decide to go with.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Pretty clap.

Congrats on the babe, by the way. He is very cute!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am using a sport weight cotton yarn I found on ebay (Mystical Creations Yarn) and size 6 needles. I made mine more narrow than the pattern calls for because I only have ~400 yd of yarn. I'm almost done!!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
if it's small enough you could use it like the dreamswatch headband.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I used laceweight yard (frommysitical creations) two strands held together.
i lvoe my clap!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhurst
I used Henry's Attic andromeda dyed by Theresa at LTK.

Same here. It is absolutely gorgeous yarn!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I used Plymouth Outback wool for my first. (which was the mini Clapotis)
I used Noro silk garden for the first full pattern size and Henry's Attic Andromeda for my second.

·
Registered
863 Posts
#1 was Brooks Farm Duet that I bought at the Taos Wool Festival. It's gorgeous but the mohair made it a real PITA to drop the stitches. Several people have used their FourPlay silk-wool yarn for clapotis and liked it.

#2 is still in progress and I'm using Berocco Cotton Twist - for a wool allergic friend. Splitty but is very elegant.

I'd love to make one in Andromeda!

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
100% silk won't have the rippled effect: it does look absolutely gorgeous, but silk doesn't have much memory.this is 100% silk from www.hipknits.co.uk, and it's a bugger to knit because the dropped stitches stick together. Doing it again, I'd use a blend: silk/alpaca probably, to stop it being so heavy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts