Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am generally confident and perfectly happy about the way my husband and i are parenting our 14-month-old dd so far. the only thing that i am constantly questioning myself on is her diet - eating solid foods, that is.

first, i will mention that she nurses 5 - 6 times a day, and nurses like gangbusters at night to fall asleep, and usually upon waking as well.

this is what i fed her for dinner last night:

-my dad's "goulash": elbow macaroni, tomato sauce, black beans, celery, ground beef, chili beans (she likes spicy stuff)
-cut-up pieces of apple
-pieces of chicken breast marinated
-water

earlier that day, she had bites of my turkey sandwich, dry cereal (cheerios), about a third of a banana, and (sigh) some of my brother's frozen fudge bar. and she has water all day every day, no juice or milk right now because it's 105 in texas.

this is more or less the kind of stuff she eats every day. i try VERY hard to get at least two vegetables on her highchair tray every day. she will pretty much eat anything i offer her. the only thing we don't do is strawberries because she broke out in a rash last time we ate them. is there anything i am missing, or anything i should add? does it sound like she is getting what she needs?

lately, she seems especially ravenous at night, and she doesn't want to nurse - she wants to EAT. it's been catching me off guard, so i'm just wondering if anyone has any insights into that as well...

thanks, just needing some reassurance.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
My kids are 3.5 yo and 20 mo (and I have a 19 yo dd). The family meal last night was spaghetti. My kids will only eat plain pasta with parmesan, they won't eat it with tomato sauce on it.
So they had plain pasta and glasses of milk. I got them to eat a carrot or two by reminding them to "eat a rainbow". Then my 3.5 yo dd asked for "something red" so we retrieved a plum from the fridge and cut that up for them and both kids ate that. Then they asked for more "red" and my husband found some stray red pepper from where I had cut it on the cutting board to add to our spaghetti sauce. In the past, our kids would never touch red pepper. However, today, he put it in front of them and they both ate it and asked for more.
Too bad we didn't have any more.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I have horrible morning sickness so last night dd (almost 20 months) had a slice of pizza topped with canadian bacon and sausage. I'd like to say it was homemade (I make awesome pizzas!) but it was Domino's. She also had strawberry yogurt and water to drink.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Well, we're eating a lot of stuff from the garden right now, or from farmer's markets. Last night we had yellow squash with onions, steamed broccoli with raw butter, green beans and new potatoes (also with raw butter), and sweet corn.

For lunch, we had pb & j on homemade sourdough; pb is organic, jam is homemade.

Breakfast was eggs and sausage.

Today we had smoothies for breakfast, cereal for lunch (we had just gotten home from the store, and the girls wanted to break out a new box of cereal, that's not a regular on our lunch menu). Tonight for supper we'll have more yellow squash (it's a big producer right now!), broccoli, sweet corn, and maybe salmon. Oh, and we'll probably finish it all off with some homemade ice cream, since I just got cream from the farm the other day.

My dc don't always eat everything mentioned (so don't think they are unusually unpicky or anything!), but they will usually at least give it a good 2 or 3 bite try.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
ummm... a quarter of a bagel and some raw milk? or maybe nothing. i don't remember.

my son only eats one meal a day in the middle of the afternoon and then he "snacks" a little until bed.

he's so much like his father like i know as soon as we hit adolesence i won't be able to fill him up, in the meantime the only thing he really *loves" is fresh sushi. he ate almost 2 california rolls himself the other night, along with a small bowl of sushi rice.

and he drinks lots of raw goat milk. like a quart or so a day.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Last night my son (22mo) had 1 large slice breaded eggplant (I make it ahead of time, get an eggplant from the farmers market, slice, dip in egg & then bread crumbs, bake for 30 min at 400F, then freeze, to reheat I saute it in olive oil) with pizza sauce (tomato sauce with spices) and half an orange. We had some pirates booty for a snack beforehand.

Lunch yesterday was PBnJ on sprouted multi-grain with stawberries & blueberries from the farmer's market.

Today he's having a cheddar and mushroom (also from farmer's market) quesadilla with pizza sauce for dipping for lunch, more stawberries & blueberries and some applesauce for his morning snack.

For breakfast, he almost always has 1-2 homemade carrot halfsize muffins, sometimes with plain yogurt or milk.

I haven't decided on dinner yet. Maybe whole-weat cous-cous, cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes or tofu & green bean stir fry.

I always need new ideas because I have a limited set that I cycle - maybe 3 or 4 lunches and 5-6 dinners.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
My dd is 22 months. She had a plate of random odds and ends from the fridge and the pantry. A little pile of each: green beans, sunflower seeds, raspberries, a hunk of baked potato, some black beans, and some corn. She mostly ate the seeds and the beans. Washed it down with a bottle of organic milk and she was happy.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Last night, the family had Bombay rice (rice, carrots, onion, stock, garbanzo beans, etc.) with pita and a fruit salad (peaches, plums, bananas, apples)...DS (29 months) didn't eat squat.

Yesterday, he had a waffle for breakfast, one bite of an apple and half of a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and 2 vanilla cookies in the afternoon. Milk in a cup twice and water the rest of the day and that's it. He's been on a hunger strike as of late.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
We were at the sprinkler park in Cambridge near where we used to live, so we brought a picnic dinner, plus ordered some sushi:

- PBJ sandwiches
- blueberries, strawberries & grapes
- cold blanched spinach
- cucumber & avocado sushi

The boys ate tons. Ryan said all the food was great, then asked "but what are we going to have for dinner?" Crazy kid!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My 18-month old had brown rice and black beans, a slice of canteloupe, and water. I can't remember anything else he ate yesterday, but that was dinner.

He nursed quite a bit and several times overnight, then had baked beans for breakfast. Lunch was a few bites of an almond butter/honey sandwich and some applesauce.

I figure if they're still nursing quite a bit, the solids are just bonus nutrition.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My kids (4.5 yrs and 2 yrs) had beef sausages and steamed potatoes and broccoli and cauliflower for dinner and sliced fruit for dessert. They both cleaned up their plates pretty good.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Breakfast yesterday: watermelon, sourdough toast with butter and honey

Lunch yesterday: blueberries (we picked all day, so we just ate as we picked)

Supper: packet dinners (hamburgers, veggies, and seasonings wrapped in foil then baked until cooked through), homemade raspberry ice cream

Breakfast today: homemade yogurt with blueberries, raspberries, and bananas

Lunch today: assorted fruits, pb & j

Supper today: salad (lettuce, tomato, carrots, cukes, squash, artichokes, etc.)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Last night's dinner...

Homemade from sratch:
Bread
BBQ Cowboy Baked Beans

Dessert: They wanted Grapes

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Quote:
and she has water all day every day, no juice or milk right now because it's 105 in texas.
This is what happens here (well, not the 105 in texas part
)

My kids are hooked on water! Dd is 4 and if you offer milk or juice she'll ask if the water is all gone. lol

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
We had taco salad last night. My almost 21 mo dd just ate the olives, chips and tomatoes.
My oldest ate 2 servings, bowel of ice cream then a snack of more salad.

My middle dd had one serving that took her hours to eat.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
dd (5) and i - spinach salad and a homemade pizza
ds (16 mo) - pizza crust, uncooked mozarella cheese, avocado, and tofu

·
Registered
435 Posts
I always find these threads fascinating b/c my kids are such terrible eaters. Last night ds had 1/2 slice plain pizza and raw organic milk. DD gnawed on the pizza for about 20 minutes eating only about 1/8 of a slice of pizza. Tonight they each had 2-3 bites of barbequed chicken and a few nibbles of corn (we were at a fair) and ice cream.

Typically if they eat one normal meal I am happy, but they frequently go on long hunger strikes where they consume little else besides the raw milk. I allow this to happen b/c I'm more confident in the nutritional value of the raw milk than most other food that they are willing to eat.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Tonight I made pasta with salmon, zuchini, carrots, portabello mushrooms, and peas in a cream sauce. It was delicious if I do say so myself!

Lunch was mini chicken tacos from trader joes with taco sauce for dipping, and an apple for dessert.

Breakfast was cereal.

Last night we ordered take out Indian and dd (4) had a veggie samosa, vegetable korma over rice, and cheese naan. She loves Indian food and would eat it every night if she could! She also loooves sushi.

·
Registered
922 Posts
dd had one slice of carrot, 2 slices of zucchini, and she knawed on a pizza crust (homemade) for a while. Of course, she's only 9 months old
She nurses at least 8 times a day still, so I"m not that concerned.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts