Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>The christmas season has been getting me down.  We aren't christian or jewish, and don't really have a winter holiday. Are there any other mama's in the same boat? DH doesn't understand why I'm insisting on secret santa or getting a gift for my son. At the same time, he has no idea what it is to grow up in the midst of all this holiday madness that you aren't really a part of.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any one else in the same boat?</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
<p>Erm this is the reason my in-laws did Christmas with my DH, and we do it with our children now.  DH's Dad is Hindu, and DH was raised fairly loosely Hindu, and they felt bad that he didn't have a holiday during this time of year, so they did Christmas.  A tree, a big meal and presents, no religious stuff, but the general family and secular part of the holiday.  Which is what we do too, though we could just do Hanukkah since I am Jewish.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It is tough being different this time of year and that even include being Jewish, everything is focused on Christmas and gift giving, and if your family doesn't participate in some way you feel like you don't really belong and you worry about your children feeling like they aren't getting gifts and feeling left out of what the rest of the nation is doing.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts