Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've suffered from chronic depression since adolescence, and for a while I was on antidepressants. Lately, I've been having an increasingly hard time controlling my mood though, and I've been irritable and cranky and even feeling some pretty intense rage. I've been doing a lot of reading, and I think that I might not just be depressed -- I might be bipolar.

But where do I go from here? Do I call a regular doctor? A psychiatrist? I'm tired of being depressed and irritable and never feeling in control of myself. I've got to get some kind of help so I can be the mama my DS deserves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Robin,

My name is survivor and I am a british woman who has suffered severe anxiety and depression since the age of 7.

I first went to my Doctor who referred me for Counselling. I do not know if you are aware of this but depression/anxiety and other mental issues are sometimes related to traumas or bad experiences we have had in our lives.

It is extremely useful to talk out all the negative issues you have had in your life and go back as far as your childhood. Talk with a counsellor whom you trust, I have always had female counsellors as one of my problems in life was to do with men and the negative influence they had had on my life.

Talk in detail your thoughts, feelings, fears. Getting your problems out of yourself and to a supportive proffessional is a good starting point.

I have had counselling for several years and now I am at the point of wanting to help myself overcome my anxieties so now I am having 8 sessions of Cognitive Behavioual Therapy ( I have just completed session 6 today ).

I am finding this helpful as I have always blamed myself for events in my life, believed I was a worthless person who is unlovable and that no-one would want to have as a friend or lover.

To recap, Go to see your doctor and if you do have any emotional issues ask him/her to refer you for counselling. It can feel scary wanting to talk out your problems to someone else, you may not have even told anyone and this is daunting, however you will progress emotionally as a person and it does help.

Kind Regards, SURVIVOR XXX

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you.

I did some calling and found a local mental health clinic that charges on a sliding scale, so I think that's where I'm going to start. It's weird to finally admit that I need real help and I'm more than just "down" or "lazy" or whatever else. I'm hoping everything goes well from here though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts