Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new one for me. My dd never showed interest until 2 1/2 and she trained when I took her diapers away- but she could dress herself by then and pull her pants down and up.<br><br>
My ds is 19 months and he stays dry all night now in his diaper and I take him to the potty in the morning. It started when he put the little ring on the potty and wanted to climb on- then he actually pees in it. But I need to take his diaper off (it is a snappi-ed prefold) and he couldn't pull a training pant down and up yet- he just turned 19 months and climb on the potty if he's naked but not undress.<br><br>
I used 2 diapers today- one diaper was dry so i just put it back on all day until we went on a hike and he peed in that one.<br><br>
What does a mom do in a situation like this- a child this young wanting to use the potty? He also takes his ring off, closes the lid and flushes by himself.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I CD, too, and I think my dd will be in a similar situation very soon. She has stayed dry all night since about 13 months of age, and started saying "pee" and "poop" at 16 months of age. She's now 17 months, and will tell me almost every time she has to go, although sometimes she gets pee and poop mixed up. In my case I leave her bottom naked most of the time, and if she says "pee" I put a diaper on her and she'll pee in it and then I take it right back off an throw it in the diaper pail. Same thing with poop. As of yet, she doesn't seem interested in the potty. I have set her on the potty when she says she has to go, and sometimes she'll pretend to go, but she doesn't actually pee or poop on it yet. I think when they're this young, it is going to be very mommy-intensive. You'll probably have to be the one taking your ds to the potty and taking off his diaper. Does he give you much warning as to when he needs to go? I know you may not want to invest in new CD's at this time, but I find that the Hempers fitted diapers with snaps come off really quickly, and he could probably even use them as training pants when he's old enough to pull them down. (I, too, like prefolds and snappis, but I use a lot of Hempers, too, and they're not too expensive). Perhaps leaving him diaperless as much as possible wouldl help, too, because then you won't have to fiddle with a diaper at all.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mum2sarah. It is very mommy-intensive. I might didg out my old Motherease one-size dipes- he can probably pull those down. I just bought toddler ubcpfs last week- since he outgrew the premium size. This was before he wanted the potty...

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
My dd potty learned of her own accord at 18 mos. It sounds liek your ds is ready for it. I would leave him naked when you're at home, or get some training pants. I know it's a pain in the butt to have one so little using the potty since they still need so much help- but ya can't really stop him LOL

·
Registered
241 Posts
I must disagree that it's a "pain in the butt" to potty one so young. Why is it any more work than changing diapers? I'm assuming that your ds is not doing that himself....<br><br>
My dd is 15 mo, and has been using the potty since 11 mo. My sis started using EC (check out the forum in diapering) with her 2 mo dd, so I thought I might as well start with mine who was 9 mo older at the time. We started by sitting on the potty after waking from the night and from nap since she always peed within 5 minutes of waking anyway.<br><br>
Of course I pull her pants down, take her diaper off, and even help her get situated on the potty, wipe her, pour the pee/poop into the toilet if she's used the little potty instead of her ring (most often), put her diaper back on and pull her pants back up, and pick her up to the sink and wash her hands. However, I also cook her meals, put food in a dish for her, pick her up and put her in the highchair, wipe her hands and face when she's finished, wash her dishes, etc. when she eats - what isn't mommy-intensive at this age?<br><br>
A little bit of help from me is certainly worth it because I haven't had to change a poopy diaper in 2 months cause she's signing every time she needs to poop, and I'm not washing diapers as often cause she wakes up dry half the time, and stays dry most of the day. We only have 2-3 wet diapers per day instead of 8-10 now so I'm washing every week or so instead of every 3-4 days. But mostly it's worth it because it seems so much more respectful to let her learn to listen to her body's cues and take control in that area of daily life when there's not much else she controls.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am washing a lot fewer diapers- it took several days to fill up the pail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I say count your blessings and buy some good training pants. My son started potty training at 15 months and though he still pees on the potty at 18mths he has lost interest as often. I wish we hadn't lost what we had 3 months ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts