Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a silly question, but I have never used one before. I have been using cloth diapers for years, but I have only used fuzzi bunz or pre-folds with covers. I recently found really nice wool longies at a consingment store. Do I put them on right over a pre-fold? Or do I use a regular cover and use them as pants? I am confused because if I use them as the cover, then I have to change his pants every time I change his diaper? Any advice? Also I would like to get some more wool covers any favorites (long or short)?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
First you need to lanolize it (I use wool wash with a squirt of melted Lansinoh. Soak and then air dry) and then you can use it as a cover. When DS was in longies, I rarely found I needed to change the longies as often as the diaper because they are so airy. If he got soaked I would though.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Wool covers don't need to be changed after every wet diaper. If they get poop on them, they need changing. I used to use longies over fitted diapers- that was my nighttime routine with DS. I didn't usually change diapers overnight anyway, and during the day I'd alternate two wool covers- take off the damp one, let it air dry, and grab the one I took off LAST diaper change to put on him now.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I love my longies! I use prefolds that are Snappied or fitteds. Both work great. I change dipes pretty frequently, so my longies don't really get too soaked. Sometimes he uses the same pair for most of the day. i just finished knitting and lanolizing a pair a couple weeks ago and I haven't washed them yet. They haven't been pooped on, they aren't stinky, and they still absorb well, so... yay for longies! That's cool you found some at a consignment shop!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts