Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some ideas, Mamas...

We got a red cabbage in our CSA shipment this week. Other than a slaw (which we would not eat a whole cabbage's worth of, KWIM?), what can I do with this? Ideas for main dish meals most welcome.

TIA!

~nick

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can use it any way that you'd use a regular cabbage (cabbage rolls, fried, steamed, etc.) I had some once that was cooked with a vinegary sweet and sour sauce, but served warm. Was SO yummy (but I don't have the recipe, so I'm not much help, am I?
)

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Yum--borscht!

Also, the new Martha Stewart mag has a recipe for a side made of red cabbage and raisins.

I'd go to foodtv.com or epicurious.com and look up recipes using red cabbage as the key words.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A great recipe: Red cabbage, sliced thin, with fresh dill, toasted pine nuts (dry toasted in an iron skillet works), and goat cheese (about 1/2 - 1 small "log") Mix gently to coat the cabbage with cheese - works better when you allow the cheese to warm up a little before mixing. Serve at room temp. This is a tasty combination!

·
Registered
299 Posts
This one is yummy!

Crunchy Salad
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this one! This is one of my favorite lunch salads & it's pretty quick to throw together.

1/2 red cabbage shreds
1 container Vanilla FF SF Yogurt
1 diced gala apple
1/4 cup Craisins
3 T raw sunflower

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I remember a cabbage dish that my dad used to make for Oktoberfest...I think it was red cabbage, apples, onions...I'm not sure what else but it was tasty.
Sorry, I'm not much help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.