Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
I want a vet that won't talk down to me...because that just
: me to no end. And one that doesn't think they know it all. (IOW, one that's been practicing for a while and knows they don't have it perfected...not a brand new DVM in need of practice! And make sure they have office staff that know wth they're talking about too...

One that answers questions thoroughly (ask an unusual question you already know the answer to, and see how they answer it-that's my theory, anyway.)

I don't care if they are terribly personable, as long as they handle my animals respectfully (mostly horses, so if my horse doesn't like them, chances are I won't be back
.)

That being said, I have the most awesome vet in the world and I love him to death. He drove two hours after I called him about a constipated colt, and when I told him I wouldn't have called if I didn't think he needed to come, he came. He said afterwards, "I didn't think he'd be all that bad, but if I hadn't come, you'd have lost him by morning." He didn't leave my house until midnight, but he saved the baby. Therefore, he is, was, and until retirement will remain, my vet of choice. Even though he's so darn far away.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winnipeg.

I think one of my kitties has ear mites. I checked them over when I brought them home from the humane society and called them right away. They told me to wait the 48 hours for my pet insurance to kick in then take them to a vet. So, tomorrow am we're going taking him in. I dont know what to expect or how to be prepared.

I like the unusual question Laurel, I think we'll do that 2morrow with this guy.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Sorry, don't know anyone in Winn.
Laurel, my vet does his own emerg work and when Havoc and Tunza got in a fight on a holiday I called him direct at home and told him we'd need some stitches. He met us at the front door holding a tube, the first words out of his mouth were "I figured if YOU called me on a holiday, it was bound to be serious!"
Now granted, I'm a tech and he knows this and he also knows I keep lidocaine and suture material along with antibiotics at home, so he figured if it was something I couldnt' handle myself we'd definitely need a general! He did a fantastic job, an hour of stitching her face back on and within a month you couldn't even see a scar!!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I look for a vet with breed-specific experience if it's a special-needs breed (giant breed, breed with major congenital problems, etc.), but where I've consistently been the most happy is when a vet doesn't patronise me, doesn't overreact to minor problems or test for everything under the sun when it's probably nothing, and who is happy to back off and let me make feeding and vaccination decisions.

For routine stuff or normal pet ownership where you're not trying to advocate for special stuff, I think the most important thing is that the vet makes you feel comfortable, is good and gentle with the animal, and explains things thoroughly and sympathetically. If I just get meds shoved at me without any more explanation than "He's got xx, and this will fix it," I won't be back.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips!

I like this guy. Very down to earth, relaxed. He seemed to genuinely like our kitty, took some time getting to know him. Answered our questions without any attitude, or "you dont need to know that" tone or anything like that.

I asked him about a raw diet, and he kinda agreed, we explained the difference in cats and dogs (I cant remember the types of carnivore he used) and how cats dont eat grains b/c of their diet in the wild, blah, blah, blah. He doesnt like his patients to have a dry only diet, he suggested to wean them off, use canned only or better yet, give a variety of canned and raw.

He explained what he was doing when he examined our kitty, and brought us into another room to look at the test results in the microscope. (Btw, ear mites are really digusting...) He treated him while speaking very gently to him and giving lots of "good job little guy".

Since we have another kitty at home he suggested just treating him as well, so he squeezed us in the pm. And only charged for the meds!

I'm happy and very comfortable with him. I think we'll stay.

Thanks again ladies!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I like a personable vet that sincerely makes an effort to be sweet to my pets.
ALso one that takes my opinion and input into consideration.

A definite turn off: I once had a vet that I tried taking my big dog too when we first moved back to tn muzzle her for no reason. I assured her that sophie did just fine with vets had had never bitten anyone and only growled once at a person. SHe said that they muzzled all dogs over 50 lbs--stupidest thing I ever heard of!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamillet
SHe said that they muzzled all dogs over 50 lbs--stupidest thing I eve heard of!
I'd agree with you on that...I used to work for a vet clinic (w/ my current vet) when I was just out of high school-I was more nervous about getting chomped by a spoiled rotten cocker than a Dane or shepard! I've never been bit by a bigger dog but those doggone little ones.....ehh. No thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.