Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been awakened in the middle of the night with these awful, paralyzing calf cramps. I seem to remember they are not an uncommon pregnancy symptom and I can help them by taking something. Was it magnesium? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Potassium, potassium, potassium!<br><br>
As soon as I upped my intake, the cramps got less and less immediately.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aaah, yes, thank you! I'll eat bananas. I already take extra cal/mag. I didn't get these the first time around. They do suck!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
everything everyone else said and it can also be dehydration so make sure you are getting plenty of fluids along with the bananas

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
A nutritionist and midwife that gave a talk last week said that leg cramps are calcium deficiency. She recommended calcium citrate or calcium lactate with magnesium.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
I was always taught it meant calcium. I get them and eat a bunch of calcium rich foods like soymilk and they go away.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
eat bananas... also my grandmother keeps a bar of soap in her bed under the sheets to rub her legs against when they are cramping. I suffered more from foot cramps. I keep a can of soda in the fridge and when a cramp comes on DH dashes down and grabs it. I roll my foot back and forth. Works every time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts