Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really have anyone to compare DD to so what do our toddlers teeth look like? DD brushes 2x/day but her teeth aren't looking so good. They have some brown/grey patches around the gums and in between that look like a lot of tartar/plaque. It does scrape off a bit with my fingernail.

Is a trip to a dentist warranted? I asked my dentist when kids should start going in for a checkup and they recommended 3yo+, DD just turned 2.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I would make an appt and just get them checked out. Seeing as though we'd just be going by your description, there's not much we can tell you over the internet. Won't hurt to have it checked out, just so you know what's up. You'd rather get an issue taken care of right away if there is one.

FWIW, I took my DS in at 2 because he had GERD and I was worried about his tooth enamel (GERD can cause damage to the enamel from the acid coming up into the mouth all the time). I didn't even notice any funny staining but they checked him out and said that while there was minimal damage but nothing to worry about and to wait until he was 3 for a regular appt.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
My kids have all had caries long before 2 so we take ours for their first visit around 1. I would take her in just to make sure.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My dd's teeth are stained (brownish lines) and yellow(compared to other's her age). It's not from not brushing or cavities either. I took dd when she was two. I was glad I did as I didn't need to wonder if there was a problem or not. They didn't even put her in the chair I just held her in my arms while they had a look.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I would definitely take her. 3 seems really old to me for a first dental visit. Have you thought about looking for a pediatric dental clinic? Most recommendations I've seen say that you should take them in at about a year or so for an initial visit.

My dd is 3.5 and has been to the dentist about 4 times and every single time I have expected to hear that she has decay becuase of discoloured teeth, but every time she has been fine. I think a certain amount of discolouration is normal in baby teeth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.