Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having a hard time figuring out what I will be called as a mother. Mabye this is dumb, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Do people have strong opinions and why, and what have you (or your child/ren) come up with?

mom
mommy
mama
mamma
mother
ma

And for those who have male partners in the picture, what are they calling themselves?

dad
daddy
papa
pappa
father
pa
pops
poppy

Other suggestions? My Norwegian husband will definitely be a "pappa" but I'm having a hard time with the corresponding "mamma" for some reason...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm usually Mama. I agree about "mommy" sounding whiny, I don't like being called Mommy. But DD calls me Mommy about 50% of the time. Cringe... oh well, at least she's cute. heehee

Dp has gone from Daddy to Psycho (his nickname). Once in awhile DD calls him Dada, but mostly only when she is refering to him in the third person. We try to encourage her not to call him Psycho, but thats what I call him, so I guess we're stuck with it.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My 11 year old calls me Mom or Ma, and calls DH Dad

My 20 month old calls me Ma-ma, and calls DH Da-Da

They both call my mom, who lives with us, "Nony", a name she picked out for herself when DS1 was an infant

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
Your child may decide......we called ourselves Mommy and Daddy, but they call us Mama and Dad. I never used the word Mama and they chose to do it, but now I've come to like it!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I have always been Mommy (this started 11 years ago with my dogs!) But in the past couple of weeks, my daughter has been super clingy and wants me all the time, and she's started calling me Mama. It's funny to read some of the previous posts because in her current state, "Mama" sounds a little desperate, whereas her "Mommy" has never been whiny. She's not one of those "But Mommmmmeeeeee!" type kids, I guess.

Her father, ex-DH, is called Daddy and nothing else.

DF and I are having this December baby and it's his first. He is Puerto Rican and I think he'll be Papi.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I wanted my chidren to call me mama because everyone in my family always used mommy or mom. My middle son has for some reason started calling me mommy for the last few weeks. He's 4 and knows he's being different. I think it's really cute because he says it in such a sweet little voice. My older son will also write cards and notes to me and call me Beth. I'm ok with all this.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Dh and I are Mommy and Daddy to the dog (and yes, she knows who mommy and daddy are and will look for the correct person when asked). So I imagine we'll call ourselves mommy and daddy. That's who my parents were to me. Mama and Daddy is a really common combination around here, so I kind of think mama sounds just as whiny (when you hear kids whining it all over the place, it's bound to sound whiny to you). I'd say it's a personal preference. Call yourselves what you like, the baby might call you that too.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I guess I will try to go with Momma or Mama, however to spell it. Presumably, it will go to Mom as they age.

I call my grandmother, "Mom" and my mother, "Mommy" Still, at 26, I call her Mommy to distinguish them, since I was raised by both. I've always thought Mommy sounds whiney. Also, I've always said it weird, apparently. Years ago, my husband pointed out that I say with a slight long A at the end, instead of a long E. Lovely.

So, to keep up distinguishing traits and because I prefer the sound of it, I think I'll go with Momma. Never cleared this with my husband, though, so we'll see what he likes. I just asked him and he said he's going with "Dad."

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'd like to be called Mama, but for the past few months I've been Heidi (which I'm not so happy about, I sound more like the step-mom than the real mom.) She calls dh Dan instead of Papa (which she called him up until a few months before she switched to Heidi.) We're working on it, I'm guessing it will pass sometime. We'll see!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Out of curiosity, I asked DH what he wanted to be called.

He said, "Dad. What else would I be called?".
I said, "I don't know-- maybe dada or daddy, or papa?".
He said, "No, Dad is fine. Either that or King Robbie."

·
Registered
938 Posts
Our dog knows us as "mom" and "dad." I think I want to distinguish that out -- I'm Daisy Dog's Mom, but someone else's ... mama I really like mama. Certainly not mother, hopefully not mommy. Mama. I think my husband is a "pop" or a "papa" but I don't know what he will want to be called. I'd like to call him at work to find out, but probably shouldn't, since I already called to tell him that I was craving bell peppers.
:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The name has grown with our children. Both kids started out with Mama and Dada and have now moved to Mommy (which I
) and Daddy and my 4 yo has started saying Dad every so often (but never Mom! Thank goodness - I'm not ready for that yet!)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.