Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having a hard time figuring out what I will be called as a mother. Mabye this is dumb, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Do people have strong opinions and why, and what have you (or your child/ren) come up with?

mom
mommy
mama
mamma
mother
ma

And for those who have male partners in the picture, what are they calling themselves?

dad
daddy
papa
pappa
father
pa
pops
poppy

Other suggestions? My Norwegian husband will definitely be a "pappa" but I'm having a hard time with the corresponding "mamma" for some reason...

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabbe
Mamma and Pappa. Since we are from Norway, like your DH

My first kids call me Mamma and their father Baba, since he is an Arab.
Aha! More Norwegians--cool. Since we'll be raising the kid with Norwegian as the language at home, it makes sense to be mamma and pappa, but I happen to have an intense aversion to the term mama in english, which carries over to mamma in Norwegian. If I could just be "mor" I'd be cool with it, but DH thinks that is hopelessly formal. He's from a part of Norway where no one says that, where as I used to live in an area where "mor" was the norm. How did you and your DH decide on mamma and pappa vs. mor and far?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.