Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question and want your opinion. I'm due 1/4, with my second baby, but went really fast (2 1/2 hours) with my first. DH and I are scared about making it to the hospital on time with this one (I'd love a home birth, but he's a paramedic and can't find peace with it, which is fine). My midwife, who's also a friend of mine, said that she'd start stripping my membranes at 37 weeks, when DH was home from work, so that if I went into labor, we could decrease the risk of me delivering in the car (we live half an hour away from the hospital, and winters here are dicey).

So in one sense I'm excited, because this pregnancy has been awful (nausea/vomiting/constant heartburn) and I have to psych myself up for every new day. I also think it's safer to try to "control" the baby's arrival so everything is set to go. On the other hand, though, I almost feel like it's fooling with nature, KWIM? Our first try would probably end up with me being 37 weeks and 4 days. What would you do?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't quite that early. I'd maybe wait until the next week. Some babies are born ready at 37 weeks, but most benefit from that extra 2-3 weeks in utero.

I had membranes stripped with my first when I was around 39 weeks, I had high blood pressure, and the doctor wanted to see if it would help move things along. My water ended up breaking (but so minimally, I didn't know) and I didn't actually go into labor for a couple days. Then I had a fever, had to have antibiotics, etc., etc. I was lucky my docs were very pro-vaginal birth, or I would have ended up with a c-section.

I understand your worry, though. My labors haven't been quite that fast, but if I'm moving around, busy, I don't feel early labor at all (luckily, mine have started early in the morning). Once I hit 5-6 cm, I go really fast. Tough decision, especially when you're ready for the pregnancy part to be over. Hang in there!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
They could do it- but that doesn't really mean anything. Babies come when they want regardless of most of the things we try to speed them up. I had mine stripped at 39 weeks with DD and didn't have her until 40w 6 days.

I really wouldn't want the chance that my baby would be born that early. So I would wait. I think as long as you are in tune with your body you will make it to the hospital in plenty of time.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the more I'm thinking about it, I'm less comfortable with it. I do think that I'll wait until after Christmas and try it the week before I'm due. I still like the idea of "controlling" our start time if possible, though. And with the severity and frequency of some of the BH and cramping I've been having, it makes it more tricky for me to feel like I'll "know" when it's really labor. A couple nights I've been lying in bed thinking, "Is this it?" I'm afraid that by the time I know it's labor, I will have wasted precious time!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Not really that it's messing with nature, but membrane stripping is notoriously ineffective, painful and runs the risk of introducing infection and 'accidentally' rupturing membranes, putting you on a 24 hour clock to a cesarean (because if baby's not ready, baby's not coming, especially that early). And if your bishop's score is too low, all your're going to do is cause yourself pain for no reason.

Just a head's up.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I wouldn't do it. The babies benefit from being in utero as long as possible and no longer than they need to. How's that for a cryptic answer?

There's no guarantee that this labor will be short. It's likely, yes but for all you know it might take longer. Heh, most people are afraid their labors would be too long!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would wait for nature to take her course, then go to the hospital right away but have a back plan just in case. I'm sure as a paramedic your DH has delivered at least one baby in his career.

·
Registered
688 Posts
All labors are different. Your last was quick, but that doesn't necessarily mean that this one will be too. My first was an hour and a half from first contraction till birth. My second was a 26 hour labor. My third was an hour and ten minutes total. I have NO idea what to expect for this one coming in January!! I work with birthing women and often see how different their labors are from one baby to the next.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, my bishop's score is actually pretty good as of now, because my cervix is anterior, soft & 1-2 cm, and I'm a multip, but I know what you mean. I've decided that I'm probably not going to do it, but I like thinking that I have some kind of an "out". Like every day I'll tell myself, "If I don't go into labor by tomorrow then I'll ask the midwife to strip my membranes", and then the next day I'll say it to myself again...

Like I said before, this pregnancy is making me feel like I'm losing my sanity, so I have to play mind games with myself...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've decided that I'm probably not going to do it, but I like thinking that I have some kind of an "out". /QUOTE]

Are you doing EPO and Red Raspberry leaf/tea? It can give you something to 'do' so you don't feel like you're just sitting around waiting for it all to happen, but that you're helping it along.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know what EPO is...

I was drinking the RRL tea iced, earlier in my pregnancy when my N/V was much more severe, but since I still struggle with that, just looking at the box makes me queasy now...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.