Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you call your breast (to your baby) in terms of them being milk/nursing?

I want to start using a word so my 11 month old can learn it/use it. I just don't know WHAT. I don't really call them one thing naturally. I say "are you thirsty? or "you want milk" or "don't bite my nipples" " you are grabbing my breast" ETC. Any suggestions? Basically, I want her to be able to say she want to nurse.

thanks

· Registered
627 Posts
Well I always said milk or do you want to nurse? We used the "milk" sign. My DS had his own ideas and soon after he was one started calling nursing "ba ba". Which was pretty awesome because people always thought he was saying bye bye (coupled with the sign that when done by a one year old does sort of look like waving bye bye) so everyone said oh we'll let you guys get going or took that as their exit!

· Premium Member
5,408 Posts
We use "milkies" for the actual nursing part. For the actual breast, it is "boobies".
Not my number one choice, but when dealing with toddlers, they pick the word they like best. It's hilarious when we're in a store and he sees bras, he'll yell loudly, "Look, momma! Boobie holders!"

· Registered
210 Posts
I simply call it 'nursing'. My two year old still doesn't call it anything. When he gets whiny and is jumping on the couch (where we normally nurse) I ask "Do you want to nurse?" to which he says Yes. But I never thought much of giving it a nickname. We dropped our public nursing sessions a long time ago.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessica_s View Post
Well I always said milk or do you want to nurse? We used the "milk" sign. My DS had his own ideas and soon after he was one started calling nursing "ba ba". Which was pretty awesome because people always thought he was saying bye bye (coupled with the sign that when done by a one year old does sort of look like waving bye bye) so everyone said oh we'll let you guys get going or took that as their exit!

We use the 'milk' sign too. Funny thing about people thinking it looks like bye bye, is when they start doing it and your lo goes crazy for milk! A few of my family members did this before thinking it was funny (which it was), but then ds NEEDED to have milk RIGHT THAT SECOND!

Ds still uses the sign. He also says milk, calls em boobs and makes the drinking sound up to my chest when he wants it. haha. Quite humorous and a bit embarrassing at the same time.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
We use "milkies" for the actual nursing part. For the actual breast, it is "boobies".
Not my number one choice, but when dealing with toddlers, they pick the word they like best. It's hilarious when we're in a store and he sees bras, he'll yell loudly, "Look, momma! Boobie holders!"

Thanks for that. Seriously haven't heard a bra called that in a long time!

· Registered
236 Posts
We refer to nursing and my breasts as "nursies". DD doesn't pronounce it quite right, so it sounds like she's saying "ninnies", which is a bit more discreet and as such is fine by me. She still makes the milk sign, too, typically when she is very emphatic about wanting to nurse.

Oh, cute related story. I was singing "Head, shoulders, knees, and toes" with her, and when I said knees, she touched her chest instead of her knees because it sounded like ninnies to her.

· Registered
1,432 Posts
I just say "do you want milk?". If she pointed as my breast I tell her "breast" or if it's at my nipple, I say "nipple". She's been trying to say breast for a few weeks now but it's quite there. But she says something close to it.

· Registered
4,887 Posts
to dd2, we call nursing "num-nums"
when she clamps down, I use breast or boob (depends on how hard she clamps and how much it hurts).
between dh and I when we are talking generally, they are "the jugs of doom"

· Registered
1,284 Posts
we sign milk and call it 'the milks' or just 'nursing'. DH comes to get me saying "I think he needs the milks" or 'momma milk' - I guess we call it a lot of different things!

· Registered
624 Posts
We used the "milk" sign (and said "do you want milk?") with DS1 and plan to do the same with DS2.

DS1 started saying "milkies" on his own at some point.
We have also randomly said "I think he wants boob" from time to time, though that's usually said between DH and I.

· Registered
2,617 Posts
I always asked, "Do you want to nurse?" DD now says "nur, nur" and pats my boob when she wants to nurse. We did the milk sign too and she sometimes still does that.

I also refer to my breasts as boobs and dd has picked that up. She loves to point out body parts and boobs make the list.

· Premium Member
191 Posts
We use the milk sign and call it boobies- well DD says boobahs.
When she first started using the milk sign around 8 months MIL swore she taught her how to wave bye

· Registered
3,802 Posts
We use "num nums."

I wanted to teach her a word when she was about ten months old, because she was whining and yanking on my shirt all. the. time. I chose a word from sounds she had already mastered, and she ran with it.

Of course, now that she has a word, she sure as heck uses it.

As in, "Mama, numnumnumnum! Peas! Num num peas! Peas, numnumnumum." "Peas" is her version of please. And she still yanks on my shirt. And she loves to do this in public.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.