Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you count as a catch?
I am sure that each person and each situation is different.
I heard it joked about on here not too long ago that when ecing you get certain points. I thought it was funny and it made me wonder What do you count as a catch?

If it is in the diaper I count it as a miss.
If it is in the potty I count it as a catch.
But.... if she fusses and I am too tired to take her (at night) and then she goes I count it as a catch (bcs she signaled she had to go)
And... if she goes somewhere besides the potty and I knew she had to go or she was signaling she had to go then it is a catch.

What does everyone else do?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Good question! I consider those situations catches, too. Also, when they're young and pee a few minutes after being on the potty, and you know they're going to pee so you leave them on a prefold or towel before putting a diaper back on, I count that as a catch, too. It's more about communication, and knowing your baby, than the actual place where they go.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Anything that was "caught" because of intuition, timing, communication, or just pure luck. Where doesn't really matter to me (although we focus on the potty and the toilet. No sinks, plants, or lawns for me).

Occasionally though, if she's taking too long to pee at night, I'll stand her up in her bath before sitting her down to bathe her and she will pee. If I can cue it before it happens, I call it a catch. I don't see that any different than holding her over a sink, really.

The only time I concider a miss is when I find her wet after the fact.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
If she signals or I have a feeling, and I respond to it, it's a catch, even when we don't make it ALL the way to the potty. Definition changes around 1 year or so. I do not count it as a catch if she signals but I don't make it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
OoO.. the point thing sounds like fun! It'll give me an excuse to celebrate (and so something crazy like order out, hehe) when we reach a goal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't count either, because it would be a pretty bad statistic and I would get discouraged!

If I were to count, I would include everything possible to make the numbers look a lot better (possibly even the times she pees on my pants)...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I counted kind of obsessively in the beginning and had to back way off. Now it is more of each instance as apposed as an overall count and that is less frustrating. Just thought it would be fun to see how other people do it.

I think the point thing could be fun too.
How about bonus ec points when she pees on dh bcs he didn't feel like getting up to take her and i hadn't put a cover on bcs i knew she was gonna go

·
Registered
832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sock View Post
I don't count either, because it would be a pretty bad statistic and I would get discouraged!

If I were to count, I would include everything possible to make the numbers look a lot better (possibly even the times she pees on my pants)...
haha! I don't count the catches, but some days it's easy to count the misses. When my husband asks how it went today, I can say "one wet diaper" (she sits on a flat). Some days of course the misses just keep coming. haha

To me that's a miss (because I wasn't there to notice she pee'd until after she did it).

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
i personally don't really think about catches and misses anymore. we just do what we do and it goes where it goes. for me, i can't focus too much on the numbers or i get overly-focused on elimination or i get frustrated. for us it works much better to just go with the flow and ignore the stats.

but i would have to say that at this point in our EC journey a catch is something that goes in the potty or another place i'm cuing her to go (like a bush if we're outside or whatever). but when she was teeny, if i could make a cue sound while she was peeing in a coverless diaper, i felt that was a successful EC moment. whethe it was a 'catch' or not, it was definitely counted as a success. but you know honestly even misses teach her and i something - she remembers what it feels like to pee in her diaper and gives her the chance to communicate with me about that. and those misses often have the result of making me refocus my attention away from chores or the computer or the phone or whatever and pay more attention to my kids. sometimes those misses also make me realize that DD2 has figured a new way to let me know she needs to go. like when she started leaving the room suddenly. i thought she was just exploring, but now realize that when she does it in a particular way she expects me to follow her and take her to the bathroom (which is usually where she's headed).

it's all a journey and a learning experience, so i try hard not to get hung up on where it ends up each and every time.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I thought the question was what do you "consider" a catch as opposed to ounting numbers.

Anyway, I also consider it a good thing (not a catch, really, but def. communication) when she comes to me right after peeing. I thank her for letting me know nd get her some dry pants. Today she came around a corner, looked at me, and peed. That was communication, too, and I thanked her for that. I knew she was peeing because suddenly there were darker spots on the carpet below her! She also had a fart earlier this morning, and looked right at me. It was cool. I took her potty and she peed.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup the original question was what is a catch. I am just curious bcs it seems like it is definately up to interpretation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.