Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am such a healthy whole foods kind of eater. But I am so sick that the thought of food makes me sick and I literally can't go in the kitchen. So I'm subsiting on mac and cheese and potatoes and frozen pizza that my dh can make. (He is NOT good in the kitchen.) What can I eat that's healthy and quick and easy? I seem not have aversions to scrambled eggs and to bread. Any ideas?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Edamame...I can't get enough of it during pregnancy!! Does the idea of a tuna melt (I use Chicken of the Sea salmon instead, which is wild and has much less mercury) on a ww english muffin appeal? I bet DH could make that. How about a burrito on ww tortilla with beans and rice and the fixings?

Just reread your post...maybe those foods would be too intensely flavored for right now. How about a frittata with spinach and other veggies added? That would be easy. Hummus with your bread? I am breaking down and buying the premade kind these days, though I usually love to make my own.

Here's a fast and easy dinner I make sometimes on a busy night (idea came from a recent Eating Well magazine.) Buy some commercial ravioli (I get a reasonably healthy one in the frozen section of my local healthy food store.) Cook it and serve it over about 10 oz of fresh spinach, sauteed with garlic and olive oil until it wilts. Top the ravoili (on top of the spinach) with grated fresh parmesan and drizzle with olive oil. It's yummy and easy for DH.

Good luck....I hope this icky food time will pass soon for you. I am at 11 weeks and feel I am just emerging from it.

Emily

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I've been subsisting on organic chicken broth with noodles and ginger and carrots grated in. DH has been make me this for supper every single night for nearly 3 weeks now. It's all I can handle at the end of the day.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'll throw in what works for me. I had really bad ms, but once I got on top of it I can keep it away if I eat protein all day. In the morning, to get over the "hump", I make a protein shake: 12 raw almonds, 1/2 C raw oats, 3/4C milk, 1 scoop of protein powder (whole foods carries Solgar whey to go vanilla flavored), 1 apple, some strawberries and/or banana, lots of ice. Blend for 1 min and then add the ice. The ice is key.....if it is room temp
. I pretty much wake up and head straight for the blender. It holds of the ms and keeps me full for the morning. I had this for breakfast before pg, but stopped as I thought it made me sick.... I went back when I realized the protein thing is true. I feel like I walk a line everyday with my food and water intake. Very frustrating for me as I started out this pg heavier than with any of my others....seems like I should have for "reserve", but I really have to eat all day or I am sick.. No fair!
Hope this helps,
Kathy

** I am 10.5wks and really feel like my ms is starting to fade a bit! YEA!

·
Registered
251 Posts
hi,
i've never been good at preparing foods, even when i'm not pregnant, so i know how you feel!

some easy ideas that work for me are:
-smoothies! these are so healthy and take one minute to prepare. i usually use soymilk and a banana, plus i add about a tablespoon of ground flax. if i have other fruit in the house i add it too. if you can stomach it, you can make a veggie smoothie. i made one a couple of weeks ago using beets, spinach, orange juice, sunflower seeds, bok choy, and ground flax. it sounds revolting but it wasn't that bad!
-wash and cut up some veggies whenever you have minute and just leave them in the fridge in some water. good for nibbling on throught the day.
-trailmix. nuts, dried fruit, and seeds.
-yogurt or soyogurt with a splash of wheat germ mixed in.
-if you ever do feel up to baking, double up a healthy muffin recipe, freeze half and then snack on the rest for a few days. if you already have a toddler in the house this can be made into a fun activity.
-this also includes baknig but you can make a bunch and it will last a while. make your own muslei cereal with oats, wheat germ, dried fruit, coconut flakes, etc. add some oil and maple syrup, toss and bake. i did this two days ago and i'm eating cereal about three times a day it's so good!

that's all i can think of now.
rowan

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm living on ice pops. I threw up all day yesterday, so the only thing I had was water in an attempt to rehydrate.
My midwife suggested the BRAT diet....like you do with kids who have the stomach bug. Bannanas, Rice, Apples, Toast.
I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping today I can keep something down....yesterday was a really bad day.

Beachcomber

Quote:
I've been subsisting on organic chicken broth with noodles and ginger and carrots grated in.
This sounds really good, I'm going to have to try it out!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well folks, I just found out yesterday that Muir Glen Organic tomatoes and sauces are owned bt Monsanto (THE GMO company!!)
. So, I advise buy locally from your farmer's markets and coops. I have bought Muir Glen for years b/c my mom had told me they had good canned tomatoes

So, I have not been eating tomato sauce anyway, b/c it seems gross! I like to eat oatmeal (smells ok), Amy's veggie pot pies and lasagne, grilled cheese with canned soup, Cedar Lanes' spinach and feta frozen (which is ok). Scrambled eggs with cheese, english muffins (whole wheat) w/ peanut butter and honey, and I think french toast might be ok. I like salad if I can get my partner to mix it up with the dressing and serve it to me, otherwise I have a hard time getting my tummy to cooperate. Fruits! organic canteloupe that dd loves, blueberries with yoghurt with a little granola, strawberries. My very favorite staple is Organic Valley cottage cheese (whole milk) to which I add flaxseed oil, but that is just me
... and then it has to be the right mac n' cheese. French fries make me feel gross afterwards, but I like to dip my grilled cheese in ketchup or catsup which I now know the bottle in my fridge is owned by me and Monsanto!!

Just try to eat as healthy as you can when you can, steer towards the more nutritous when offered a choice. That's what I do, but I don't have a very salty tooth

Lisa mom to Althea 7-22-04 and due 1-02-06

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by altheasmom
Well folks, I just found out yesterday that Muir Glen Organic tomatoes and sauces are owned bt Monsanto (THE GMO company!!)
Ugh, you're kidding me! Darnitall, there's one more product to mark off my list. *sigh*

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayayenay
Luna Bars make me feel like I'm getting some extra protein and vitamins (I haven't been taking my prenatals
: ). I also snack on Fruit Leather.
Good idea! I am having trouble taking the prenatals too (I'm not a pill person--have a serious aversion to pills of any kind). Luna bars sound good, though.

Right now I'm eating anything that won't kill me coming back up. UGH And usually once I've lost it, I can't eat it again. Good ideas here, though!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but Monsanto also owns Cascadian Farms and Small Planet Foods. We buy all of these, along with Muir Glen.

I swear, I've just about had it.

There was also some discussion about Organic Valley not being truly organic, but I'll have to look that up and post it here later....

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehsclt
Here's a fast and easy dinner I make sometimes on a busy night (idea came from a recent Eating Well magazine.) Buy some commercial ravioli (I get a reasonably healthy one in the frozen section of my local healthy food store.) Cook it and serve it over about 10 oz of fresh spinach, sauteed with garlic and olive oil until it wilts. Top the ravoili (on top of the spinach) with grated fresh parmesan and drizzle with olive oil. It's yummy and easy for DH. Emily
MMMMMMMMMMMMM That spinach thing sounds soooooooooooooo yummy!!!!

I find that I'm don't feel like cooking much- normally I LOVE to cook! Also when I get my mind set on one food - I NEED to have it! breadsticks from buddys the other day.. mmmmmm hahaha I always thought that when I was pregnant I would be so healthy and exercise just as much as normal and add more stress relieving walks and stuff.. but now I'm just too lazy! I don't like grocery shopping.. I eat french fries! and I haven't been to kick boxing in a month!
I'm hoping that as my energy returns (which it's starting to) that I'll get back into my normal routines! but now that I read that spinach ravioli description... that might just be my craving for the day!! haha

·
Registered
375 Posts
{Quote LolaEight} Not to hijack this thread, but Monsanto also owns Cascadian Farms and Small Planet Foods. We buy all of these, along with Muir Glen.

This was so disturbing to me that I did some more looking around, and it turns out that it gets even worse!!! Not only have I been supporting Monsanto, but also Pepsi, Philip Morris, Lockheed Martin, Walmart, and Entergy Nuclear, just to name a few!!! I found this on the Organic Consumers Association website:

http://www.purefood.org/monlink.html

Organic and Natural Product Companies
Associated with Monsanto

• Brand Name(s): Arrowhead Mills, Bearitos, Breadshop, Celestial Seasonings, Earth's Best Baby Food, Garden of Eatin, Health Valley, Imagine Foods, Terra Chips, Westbrae, Millina's, Mountain Sun, Shari Ann's, Walnut Acres Owned By: Hain Food Group Principle Stockholders: Bank of America, Entergy Nuclear, ExxonMobil, H.J. Heinz, Lockheed Martin, Merck, Monsanto, Pfizer, Philip Morris, Walmart, Waste Mangement Inc. Significantly Owned By: Citigroup

• Brand Name(s): Cascadian Farms, Muir Glen Owned By: Small Planet Foods Principle Stockholders: General Mills Significantly Owned By: Alcoa, Chevron, Disney, Dupont, ExxonMobil, General Electric, McDonalds, Monsanto, Nike, Pepsico, Pfizer, Philip Morris, Starbucks, Target, Texas Instruments

YIKES!!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It's pretty darned sad when you think you're making responsible organic consumer choices that support small companies and your community. And instead you're lining the pockets of industry giants like these. One wonders what this world is coming to.

Welcome to the world of Mega-Corporations. If you haven't already done so, you might be interested in reading Naomi Klein's "No Logo". It's a very interesting look at the trend towards globalization in corporations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who is having a hard time eating all the healthy things that I should be eating. Like someone said earlier, I am doing really well with the fresh fruit but I can't seem to stomach many vegetables lately. It's the strangest thing. Speaking of this type of eating.....what is a normal amount of weight to have gained at this point (I'm 9.5 weeks)? Isn't it 3-6 pounds in the first trimester? Or am I making this up?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My midwife said, prenatals are not a neccessity at this stage.
She said folic acid is important in early development (before you know you are preggo), and later other nutrients are more important.
I try not to worry when I eat "junky" food, and my aversion to greens is similar.
I have found that when I feel okay I will make an effort to get in the kitchen and pre make some stuff. I will eat baked potatoes, sometimes hardboiled eggs, and occassionally I will make something more involved. (chili, chicken, pre cutting veggies and fruit)
I basically lived on yogurt and cereal for awhile, then it was baked potatoes and eggs, now it is cheese and salsa (or anything spicy).
It helps to buy helathy snacks and bread, and I try to find things I can hide broccoli or spinach in. (like the potatoes)
HTH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts