Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 17 weeks along and my breasts and nipples hurt so bad sometimes I just can't nurse my poor dd. I feel like an awful mama and I need some help.
She knows what gentle and nice mean so I do ask her when we start to be nice and she is good about it she doesn't pull and roll like she used to.
Has anyone gone through this and was able to ease the discomfort or do I just prepare to live through it?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Yes, I've BTDT twice now. With my son he was a little bit older. He was 17 mos when I became pregnant. And, while he didn't talk much his comprehension was really good. I established a rule that he coud have "Side for Five". When I couldn't take the pain, I'd said, "You have this side for five." And, I'd count to five. When we got to five we were all done. After being very consistant, he knew what to expect and was fine with it. "Side for Five" really helped out when our new baby was born, because I didn't ever have to tell Jude no. I could always managed to latch him on just for the count of 5 or to nurse him and when I was done count to 5. It worked beautifully for us.

With my DD she's only 15 mos and I'm almost 16 weeks. So, the age different is much different. Currently, I only have pain before my letdown occurs. I'm interested to hear what others have done with younger babies.

Best wishes & happy, healthy pregnancy to you!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I do remember going through a time with Jenna when I had to limit her time nursing - I would let her nurse as long as it took me to sing "ABCs" or something like that and she knew she had to stop at the end of the song. I also had to remind her to be gentle. It was tough, but I was determined to let her self-wean (she was only 19 or 20 mos at the time). I did feel guilty sometimes for getting pg again, and I also sometimes felt resentful of HER, which made me feel more guilty. But in the end, we stuck it out and she nursed until she turned 4.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I count in my head super slow and try to make it to 100 (about 5 minutes). Usually the pain or irritation subsides after about 30 seconds though. Sometimes it doesn't and I have to ask the nursling to stop a little early. But we get through it. It goes away sometime in the 2nd trimester for me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My DS was 15MO when I got pg. Nursing was extremely painful almost from day one. It was hard. I felt badly, and he did not appreciate any limitations I tried to place on his free-range nursing life.

So I taught him the concept of "one more time" and "last time for now" and "more later". I use these to help him understand that he can always come back later, but right now we are "all done nursing".

I did lots of breathing, and focusing on other things...I began to feel upset and angry even at him...very hard emotions to accept. The pain/irritation of nursing has lessened as I moved through the 2nd and now into my 3rd trimester. I still feel the irritation bubble up, but he has really understood the "not right now" phrase.

Wishing you painfree nursing!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
yogic-style breathing is what works for me. the pain usually subsides after 30-60 seconds and becomes tolerable ache after that, which i can totally do. k can completely comprehend being gentle and taking turns, etc, but not when it comes to the boobie!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i had horrible nipple pain in the beginning of this pregnancy but it subsided. now i just get terrible contractions.. when it hurt i just had to grin and bear it and it went away after a minute or so.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your responses. It is comforting to know that others have felt the way I do right now. The past couple days have been decent, tolerable. Hopefully it will start to subside, I have been hearing alot about it getting easier late into the 2nd trimester.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm 6 weeks pregnant, and going through the same thing with dd, 17 months. At first, I thought the pain was just due to acrobatic nursing, but when I learned I was pregnant, it all made sense.
The one thing I've found so far is that she really gets lazy with her latch sometimes and that's when it hurts the most (it hurts when her latch is perfect, but not nearly as much). So when it starts to get really painful, I always pull her off to relatch. It has helped so far.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I didn't get sore until about 20weeks along. Now, I can't bear it. I nurse DD maybe once a week. It makes me sad because I know she misses it. I just keep telling her that when baby brother comes, she can nurse again. Hopefully I won't be as sore after he is born.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts