Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd, who is almost 3, is going to be in 2 classes this fall. All her friends are headed to preschool and there is no one to play with around the neighborhood. I really feel like she needs these classes to play with kids.

The problem is ds's naptime will be during the classes. There are no other times offered. He won't sleep outside of his bed.

I wanted to get a babysitter for those 2 mornings, so ds could sleep and I could take dd to her classes. The time would be about 2 hours on tuesday and thursday. Well, dh is freaking out. He doesn't want a stranger in our house. He would rather send dd to preschool, which he was previously against. He hates the idea of a nanny. Nanny? I want a babysitter.

What do you guys do about scheduling things? Does dd have to miss out because of ds naps. I really believe in honoring babies naps. If he always takes a nap at the same time each morning, I really think I should do everything possible to accomadate that, since his body obviously needs it. But poor dd loves being with other kids and the 2 classes are really awesome. What to do?

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
I would try to teach DS to sleep in a comfy stroller. That way you can do both. Perhaps with a little work it would happen.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I am right there with you...I think it's extremely important to protect young children's naps, and napping in the car or stroller is not the same quality of sleep and does not give the child the needed restorative benefits that a good nap provides.

I homeschool my almost 3 year old and have a new baby coming in March. I will be hiring a babysitter a few days a week just so I can take ds1 out while the sitter stays home with the napping baby. She's not a stranger though...she babysitts for the neighbors kids too, and we have had her in our home a few times already while I do laundry and things and she plays with our son. This way he has been able to get to know her and feel comfortable with her.

I would point out to dh that there are many important reasons for avoiding preschool. At least with a sitter your child would still get one on one attention and supervision (something lacking in most preschools) and your older child will not be bringing home the many preschool illnesses that go around, which can jeapordize everyones health and sleep in the house.

I'd find a college student majoring in child development or something similar. Invite her over (and pay her) to help out around the house while you and your husband are doing a project at home. This way she wouldn't be a stranger for very long....

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
I like the baby sitter idea, it's important for you dd to have interactions with other kids, and one on one time with you, and if the baby is basically sleeping anyway......

I'd find a sitter you know/like/trust, have her come over several times, including times that your dh will be there so you can all get comfortable with her.

I just want to say wow on your two month old taking regular naps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.