Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn’t sure how to title this so forgive the ambiguity. I am a single WOHM and am having difficulty with ds’s sleeping schedule. Don’t get me wrong, we have no sleep issues, I nurse him to sleep at night, after about 20 minutes usually he is asleep and I get up until I need to go to bed.<br><br>
My question/conflict is because I am a WOHM I treasure the time after work with ds and hate putting him to bed at 7 or 7:30 – when he needs to go to bed because of when he wakes up. I wish I could keep him up until 8 or 9 to have more time with him. On the weekend he stays up a little later and will sleep later in the morning because I do – we usually sleep until around 8, but during the week I need to get up by 6:30 – he does not but usually wakes up because I get out of bed. If he would sleep until 8:00 during the week I could keep him up later. He naps during the day usually 2-3 hours, so I know he is getting the right amount of sleep.<br><br>
Do any of you adjust you dc’s bedtime/wakeup time so they get more awake after work time with you during the week?

·
Registered
232 Posts
No, we've tried, but really can't. DS is a true lark, it seems, and wakes between 5:30 and 6 a.m. no matter when we put him to bed. (We had one horrible night recently when we had to take him to the emergency room and no one got to bed until after midnight. DS was still up at 5:30 the next morning!)<br><br>
Your DS sounds like he is more flexible than mine, and that your only problem is that he wakes when you get up at 6:30. Can you put him back to sleep by nursing, and then slip out of bed? If so, and he will sleep until 8, I can't see the harm in shifting his schedule a bit.<br><br>
The evening hours are precious, aren't they?

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
We don't put DD to bed until about 9 for that reason. I teach PT, but it's evening classes. One night I get home at 7:30 (and then eat dinner), and the other I don't get home until 9. She usually sleeps until 7:30 or 8, but naps very little during the day (~1-1/2 hours). I've tried everything short of standing on my head and holding my breath to get her to nap more, but it's not happening. But, she seems happy enough, so I stopped trying to force the issue.<br><br>
You coupld probably experiment with moving his bedtime later and see if, after a couple of weeks, he begins to sleep longer in the morning. Perhaps you could introduce a stuffed animal or something else cuddly that could also co-sleep with you, and it could snuggle next to him after you get up so he still has that contact?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I've read that in many 3rd world countries this is the norm. Babies/toddlers go to bed the same time as parents, and nap as much as needed during the day.<br><br>
My stance is, who cares if they take long naps while at dcp's? Although you need to have a child care provider who will accomodate your babe napping whenever, and not just at the official "naptime". My DD takes variable lengths of naps, and often stays up late to interact with the adults in the household. She goes to bed anywhere between 6:30 PM and 11 PM, and the only days she HAS to get up are Tues-Thurs when I have to get us out the door by a quarter of eight. Most other days she has the opportunity to sleep in.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My ds is 28 months old and about a year or so ago I stopped worrying about his bedtime and started looking at the total hours of sleep he was getting in a day and his general attitude (it's very obvious if he's overtired or not getting enough sleep) as a way to judge whether he's getting enough sleep.<br><br>
He has always slept a lot at daycare. At 2, he still naps at least 3 hours a day at dc, sometimes more, probably to make up for a later bedtime. But how, when we usually get home after 5 p.m., can I expect him to be ready to go to bed at 7:30 or 8:00? I figured out the hard way, that if I tried to put him down early, it just meant hours of fighting him to get him to wind down & go to sleep, but if I waited 'til 9 or sometimes later, he goes to bed much more easily.<br><br>
He's an early bird, too. Usually he's up by 6. 7 or later is major sleeping in for him.<br><br>
I also agree that those evening hours are precious....

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
When I was a single wohm ds almost always went to bed with me. I think it was around the time he started walking, 11m, that he started going down earlier on his own. He was just super tired since he was moving around a lot more!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm a WOHM, and DD has always been a nightowl, so it works out great. She goes to bed with me around 10 and sleeps until she gets up in the mornings (DH is a SAHD, so he loves the sleeping in!). This used to always be until around 9 am, but lately it's more like 7:30 or 8. Sometimes she starts waking when I get out of bed around 5:30 in the morning, but I lay there until she's back asleep (I used to nurse her back to sleep, but we've recently weaned) and then she'll sleep until later with her dad.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
We don't all get home before 7pm, dinner is about 8pm. My DD is 4, and her bedtime is about 10pm. She still takes a nap at dc, and naps on the weekends too. No one in our house is willing to be the sleep police, because we like a relaxed evening together too. I don't have to be at work before 10 or 10:30 AM, so I can let DD sleep as late as 8am.<br><br>
For "me" time, we finally got to a point in the last year when DD would keep sleeping if I got out of bed at 5:30 or 6am. Sometimes I read, sometimes I go for a walk, sometimes I cook, sometimes I just sleep in too! I made a point of discussing this with DD during waking hours.<br><br>
Overall, I do wonder if my DD would be getting more sleep if I wasn't a WOHM. I know that things are going to have to change once she starts school next year, and weekday naps are no longer an option. Like me, she could be a napper for life!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts