Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 34mo son's best friend/mortal enemy bit his chest at preschool today. It looks like a bad scrape. The preschool advised he go to the doctor. We called the doctor and they said they thought he should be seen as well, since "you never can tell" with human bites. What is the point of gong if you don't need stitches? What do you do to treat bites? All we have done so far is to put ice on it. He also just had a really long nurse.

Thanks for you help mamas!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I have a biter that loves to solely practice on his big brother... If it pierces the skin I just clean it and keep an eye on it like any other scrape... If it is bruising then I would also ice it...

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies.
My little boy is doing fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
I'd just wash it well and watch for any signs of infection.
Angela, you are so smart.
That is what they ended up advising. They washed it with some guaze dipped in soap and water then they put a band-aid on it.

They said if we weren't "reliable parents" who could monitor for signs of infection, or if the bite were on a place that's hard to keep clean (like a foot or a hand), they might advise a prophylactic course of antibiotics.

Intersting tidbits:
They said they don't ever stitch up bites because they don't want to close bacteria up in the wound.

They said when the biter is a 2 or 3 yo they aren't worried as much about the health status of the biter. But when it comes to workplace bites, they do sometimes test the biter for diseases. I thought, "hmmm...do you see a lot of workplace bites?" Maybe in a medical setting this happens at times.

They said manually cleaning a wound with soap and water is the best way to go in terms of preventing infection. I asked about hydrogen peroxide and they said that's good for cleaning a wound, but it is toxic to new skin cells. This is why sometimes people have a wound that just won't heal--because they kep reapplying HP. So they recommend cutting the HP down to 50% wtih water when cleaning with it on subsequent days.

What else? Triple antibiotic ointment is more likely to cause an adverse reaction than bacitracin. Our PA said she did a lit review and she found a study that said that bacitracin was no more effective than vasoline at helping wounds heal. So it may be the emollient qualities of bacitracin that are helpful rather than the antibiotic.

Calendula cream is another good thing to put on a wound. I asked whether it would do any good to use grapefruit seed extract topically on wounds. They said no (I asked because I take GSE when I feel a cold coming on--they said it's more of an anti-viral). I think I will ask the folks at my favorite crunchy pharmacy what they think about topical GSE on wounds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.