Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm struggling with the impending transition from SAHM. I know I'll need to support me and my boys in just a matter of months, but our days are so full as a SAHM that I just don't see how to fit in a job (and it doesn't help that getting a job these days is darn near impossible).

I expect STBX will want to have the boys a few days each week, and if needed, my mom can help out a couple days. I'm thinking about starting an errand/concierge service so that I can work my own days and hours, but getting licensed, insured, a website, advertising.... it all seems very intimidating and I'm having a hard time getting started.

I'm mostly curious about those of you who don't have your kids in daycare or school full time. What do you do for income?

·
Registered
728 Posts
When my ex and I split, my youngest was almost 4. I went back to work full-time. There simply was no choice. She went to childcare and my son was in full-day kindergarten and the before/aftercare program at school.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I do freelance work in publishing and also have a healing practice. My work hours can vary by 10-40 hours a week depending upon current projects and clients. My folks keep my younger son a lot--too much really because of their health. I'm looking forward to him being in kindie and giving me much more flexibility. It's been very challenging to do what I do with the lack of childcare I have.

The liscencing and such isn't that hard. Find a chapter of SCORE where you are--they are retired business people who can help you get it set up or show you the right direction.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maddiethecat View Post
I'm struggling with the impending transition from SAHM. I know I'll need to support me and my boys in just a matter of months, but our days are so full as a SAHM that I just don't see how to fit in a job (and it doesn't help that getting a job these days is darn near impossible).

I expect STBX will want to have the boys a few days each week, and if needed, my mom can help out a couple days. I'm thinking about starting an errand/concierge service so that I can work my own days and hours, but getting licensed, insured, a website, advertising.... it all seems very intimidating and I'm having a hard time getting started.

I'm mostly curious about those of you who don't have your kids in daycare or school full time. What do you do for income?
Might not be your cup of tea, but in addition to the errand service, you could offer cleaning services. The lady we hire (who I just gave notice to *sob*) was laid off a couple of years ago...she seems to do EVERYTHING, but the cleaning gives her a steady weekly income at $25/hr. I found her through craigslist, but word of mouth goes a long way. And it's flexible...she reschedules when her kids have something. We live in a big metro, so $25/hr is less than a service, but enough that she takes pride in her work and people respect her for what she's doing. It's a reasonable amount--esp for as hard as she works!! Her clients provide the cleaning supplies and she just brings her own mop because she likes it.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
during the school year but during the summer they are all mine. . .

so I work part time at a grocery store. it pays good. i work at starbucks officially and get tips that average $1 an hour so $15-$30 a week. plus i get almost $10 . the hours are flexible and my manager is sweet. if the school calls or whatever she doesn't hesitate to send me home. when things fell through the other day she let me take a long break and make arrangements.

how do I make it work? my MIL takes them during the day and sometimes their dad. every other weekend I work night stock. its hard on me but it is a garunteed 20 hours every two weeks and its 20 hours I do not need to find child care. their dad takes them one night a week. thats another 8 hours i don't need childcare. (i work 60 hours every two weeks)

I also never turn down babysitting or dog sitting for people. i have had friend sleep over. the girls god mother is so sweet and babysits overnight for free. i could not get buy without the help of friends. i have considered seeling my plasma if it comes to that. i also sell stuff on etsy. its not a lot but it is money for biurthday and christmas gifts.

I won't lie though. i will breath a sigh of relief when school starts.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I go to school full-time and get grants and loans. I also work from home part-time doing writing, editing, and research for two different companies, and do other freelance jobs as I am able.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I work a couple of part-time jobs. #1 - I clean our church. Takes me five or so hours a week, but I can spread that out and do it whenever I want, as long as it's clean Sunday morning. #2 - I work for our township. I do taxes, so in March, April and May I am in the office two mornings a week (and much more during the busy times, but I only have those set hours) and I can work whenever needed, which is great because I can work around my kids. I also have a rental income and I do receive child support. We live frugally, but we are really lacking nothing we need.

I am very blessed.

·
Premium Member
16,735 Posts
I feel blessed too. I do hair 3 days a week, those are the days X has the kids. I highly recommend the profession.

·
Registered
955 Posts
right now, whatever i can!

dd is 4 mos, so school days are a ways out.

i do the books for a photographer that i know, which is about $20/hr. right now i'm trying to work about 5 hours a week.
i also do odd jobs for family and friends as they come up.

stbx is giving me CS, i get food stamps and wic, so we scrape by, which is fine while she's so little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.