Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was afflicted with a toothache, that by night had turned into the worse pain (like a 7 out of 10). My entire face, jaw, sinus, eye socket & ear hurt on that side of my face. I couldn't sleep, it hurt so bad.

So, bearing in mind that it was nearly midnight on New Years Eve, what would you have done for the pain?

On the heels of the 2 "champagne" threads, I'm almost hesitant to post this, but I REALLY what to know what you would have done. I took 2 Tylenol around 8pm, and by midnight was literally sobbing with the pain. My dh talked me into drinking a beer (which I am SO not comfortable with, and honestly do not believe in drinking in pregnancy), but that was all we could do, except go to the ER for narcotics. So, what is worse? Later I took 2 more Tylenol & finally got a little sleep. I was also laying down w/an ice pack on my face & had been swishing with salt water all evening. It was slightly better this morning. I spoke w/the doctor covering for my Family Physician, who gave me some advice (keep taking the Tylenol just to get through the weekend until I can get to the dentist on Monday, call if it gets worse, etc). He said if it got much worse I could go to the hospital for narcotics.

So again, I ask, what would you do?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I think you have to weigh the risks of the effects of excruciating pain to you and the risk to your baby. This isn't the same as the champagne thread thread, because you are not doing things for the same reason. From what I've read, you should take care of your toothache with the minimal amount of pain medication needed to keep you comfortable. Then again, I'm no expert. So, if I am mistaken or misinformed I apologize. Good luck though. Toothaches are the worst!!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I didn't mean that you shouldn't take anything. I feel that if you are in that much pain you should get it taken care of. I wanted to make sure I didn't come off like I was saying for you to suffer.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would have probably went to the hospital. I have a high pain tolerance, and if I was a 7 out of 10 I'd be headed to the ER. That's just me though.

As for hypothetically if I'd take beer or narcotics...hmmm...tough one. I dunno. Did the beer ease the pain? I know the ER would give narcotics and it'd help. If I knew the beer would help and I wouldn't still have to revert to narcotics, I might try it.

So did the beer help? FWIW, I'm not currently pregnant, but I might try it, if it worked, with my headaches.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I know that clove oil is good for tooth aches. It numbs your skin and deadens the pain in the nerve. I'm not sure if it's okay to use during pregnancy, but a quick call to your midwife or doctor will tell you if it is. You can actually find clove oil at walmart in the section with the orajel and other mouth pain relievers.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I have had horrible toothaches while pregnant. I think herb for pain (in tincture form preferably) is much preferred to narcotics.
That being said, I'm not a Dr. or anyone even remotely knowledgable about stuff like this, but I have read enough to know that that is the right decision for me.

I hope you feel better

Katie

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I didn't/don't have any clove oil in the house so that wasn't an option (I'm going to try to get some today just in case). I seriously considered going to the hospital, but we would have had to wake & bring our 2.5yr old dd, and I really didn't want to drag her out in the middle of the night to such a germy place. The beer did make things a bit fuzzy and I was able to fall asleep (it was about 12:45 by this point) and I woke later to take more Tylenol.

I spoke w/the midwife last night as the pain got worse through the day (it had been better in the morning, and got worse by dinner time), and she seconded the Tylenol every 6 hrs, said to call if it got a lot worse or I had a fever, etc.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have horrible teeth....plenty of experience with toothaches. I second the clove oil. It tastes horrible but it does work. Also even if it isn't hurting much during the day you can bet money on it hurting worse at night. EVERY toothache i have had was 10X worse at night than it was during the day.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I would have called my MW or OB and asked for an emergency prescription or gone to the ER to be checked for issues, then I'd have taken whatever was deemed by my care providers to be safe to take. There are medications that are given during pregnancy, like demerol and the such, which are class b/c drugs.

I'm sorry you are in pain, and I hope that by now it's gone, but if not, please call your doctor!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyWulf
I have horrible teeth....plenty of experience with toothaches. I second the clove oil. It tastes horrible but it does work. Also even if it isn't hurting much during the day you can bet money on it hurting worse at night. EVERY toothache i have had was 10X worse at night than it was during the day.
Ditto! Also, when I was in the hospital on bedrest in my last pregnancy I got a horrible toothache and the nurses refused to bring me any Tylenol until my OB (who was being VERY slow in my time of need) called back to "ok" it
. They did bring me a tea bag (wet) and told me to chew on it. It didn't work for me, but apparently it does work for most people.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
wende the nurses refused to bring me any Tylenol until my OB (who was being VERY slow in my time of need) called back to "ok" it [IMG alt="" said:
https://www.mothering.com/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eyesroll.gif[/IMG] .
Because if you are in the hospital, and your doctor has not ordered a medication for you (even an over the counter) if the nurse would give it to you anyway, she would be practicing medicine without a license and could lose her license. She would definately be reprimanded. All meds in the hospital I worked at had to be dispensed through an electronic machine; if there was no physician's order for the medication for that particular patient, the machine would not dispense it. If you overrode the machine, a print up automatically was sent to the pharmacy, the director of your floor, and the nurse supervisor. No need to lose your job over Tylenol.

Just sensitive to this sort of thing; we nurses deserve much of the flack that we get, but sometimes there is more to a situation than meets the eye.

Lori

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Ahh, see I had no clue! That's good to know. I had TONS of respect for my nurses while I was in the hospital, I loved most of them, but had no clue why one would refuse me Tylenol of all things. I was ready to check myself out so I could run to 7-11!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Oh, and I would have taken some over the counter pain medication, and an ice pack, just like you did. I woudn't have drank the beer, but only because that sort of thing made me sicker than a dog during pregnancy. The beer might have relaxed you enough and made you sleepy enough to be able to rest. Another thing I might have considered is Benadryl, just to make me sleep. I have never heard of the clove oil thing before; will that also work for teething infants? I wouldn't have gone to the er either, just for the same reasons you mentioned. An ER on New Year's Eve? A toothache would have been a low priority, and you might have had to wait hours with a bunch of drunks before you could have been seen.

If you've got an infection in that tooth, get it taken care of. There has been alot of research lately that has connected dental infections with pregnancy problems, including preterm labor and birth. If you can't afford dental work (and I'm there with you, no dental insurance) many free clinics will see you if you are pregnant, even if you don't meet the income guidelines.

Is the clove oil just for pain, or does it help with an infection, as well?

One final note; if you are in that much pain, even if it *is* a holiday, you can still call your doc or mw. I guarantee whoever is on call has been called by the nurses at the hospital and several other patients; you aren't the only one needing something. That's their job.

Take care!

Lori

·
Registered
538 Posts
Calling your MW or OB. If I was in that much pain..I would be in the ER. As long as you tell them that you are pregnant, they will make sure to give you a pain reliever that you can use while pg. IMHO narcotics are a useful medication if/when they are used in moderation. I have used a can of coke for a headache, and I have used 700mg of Vicodin for throat pain while nursing my under 1yo. Both were used under the advisement of the ER physician who knew my history (he dated my mother in high school) and he really cared. Much hugs..I hope you can get your tooth issue resolved. I can tolerate much pain...but nothing in my mouth...I can't do it.

FYI..you can have a tooth filled while pregnant..and not have novacain..my dentist used a sand blaster thingy. I'm sure you can find a dentist in your area who does this..it was great. I was 7 mos pg and I was in no pain whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wende
Ahh, see I had no clue! That's good to know. I had TONS of respect for my nurses while I was in the hospital, I loved most of them, but had no clue why one would refuse me Tylenol of all things. I was ready to check myself out so I could run to 7-11!

If *I* were taking care of you, I might have let slip that if your husband brought you tylenol, it would be illegal of me to take it from him or prevent you from taking it....
Sometimes that is faster than waiting for the doc to finish his dinner or tennis match before calling back.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Depending upon the toothache, adult Ambesol works great for me in a pinch (may need to research during pregnancy). Much faster than Tylenol and in my case more effective. I use it right on the tooth and dab it with a Q tip on the gums around the tooth. I'd see a dentist as soon as possible as you wouldn't want the risk of an absess or something.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If it were me, I would take Valerian tincture. It is a nervine/sedative/pain relieving herb and it is very effective. It is safe for pregnancy. I use it for my son when he has an ear infection with intense ear pain. I once had an infected fingernail that was sooo painful it was throbbing, and (while addressing the infection with something else) I took Valerian and it numbed the pain and allowed me to sleep at night. Even more effective, if you can find it, is a tincture that combines Valerian and Wild Lettuce. Crystal Star makes one, but it can be hard to find. This can be very sedating though, so take it when you don't need to be alert. Good luck, I hope it resolves itself soon.

Also I know that for teething babies you can rub a little brandy on the gums, so I'd think this would be safe during pg - we're not talking about that much alcohol here.

Someone else also mentioned clove oil - I 2nd that, as my dh has had occasional bad toothaches and that has helped him.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmmm...... Clove oil, Valerian, Benedryl.... note to self, stock up on these items, LOL. We have the most pathetic "medicine" cabinet around here. Tylenol, prenatal vitamins, some old cold meds, that's about it, LOL. Oh, and the stool softener they gave me at the hospital when i had dd, LOL. These are all great ideas, I'll have to try to be more prepared in the future.

Well... no pain today
Don't know why or why not, but it's better. That side is just slightly tender if I really mash my teeth together, but that's it. No, I have no clue as to why the horrible pain on Fri. night. I'm still going to the dentist on Tuesday.

I do feel very guilty about drinking that one beer (of course that other champagn thread doesn't put my mind at ease either), but I can't un-do it. We literally had nothing else in the house & the Tylenol wasn't helping at all. Throw flames if you wish, but I don't know what else we could have done except the ER and for those of you with toddlers, you know what I mean about dragging them to the hospital in the middle of a holiday night. And honestly, I'm not convinced that narcotics are any less harmful than alcohol.

Anyway, crisis seems to be over. Carol, I'm going to have to find out more about this sand blasting. Do you have more info? I HATE dental work with a terrified passion. Please tell

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I would get checked for a sinus infection asap. I had a similar toothpain and went to the dentist, but she couldn't find anything wrong with my tooth! She did take an x-ray and said my sinus looked cloudy. (The sinus right above the upper back tooth, near the lower cheekbone.) I took amoxicillin and the pain went away. Definitely rule a sinus infection out here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.