Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm 41w1d now and I've been having lots of prodromal labor over the last 2 weeks. It always seems to occur in the evening, after DD1 is in bed and usually last into the early morning. I've always read that you should be active in early labor to keep things moving along, but by the time contractions start I'm so tired from the day that I really just want to hang out on the couch/birth ball then try to rest in bed. This doesn't seem to be working because everything always stops by early morning.<br>
I'm doing tons of walking during the day and trying to be active but I just don't know what to do when things get going in the evening. DH can't really leave the house to go walking with me (DD is here sleeping) and I don't really want to go out by myself late at night, so I'm not sure what to do.<br>
I guess what I'm asking is that if I'm truly in labor for the real deal will it progress no matter what I'm doing?<br><br>
Thanks so much for any insight!!

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Listen to your body. If you're tired, then rest. Prodromal labor can go on for days, and you need to be as well rested as possible for when labor begins in earnest. I've read way too many birth stories from women who had prodromal labor and weren't able to sleep in the days before the birth and were really exhausted by the time true labor rolled around.<br>
Moving around and being active may make the birth go a little faster, but you're not going to stall out childbirth by hanging out on the sofa watching a movie.<br>
Hang in there. You're in the home stretch.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Have you tried DTD? I had tons of prodominal labor with my 2nd and I was 41 weeks and already dilated to a 3 -- the contractions just wouldn't get regular and stay regular so we tried DTD (on advice from the OB) and it worked! Within 30 min contrax were regular -- baby was born 9 hours later.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I agree with the "rest if you're tired" statment... My prodromal labor was a little different but the end result was that I was soooo exhausted by the time active labor came around that I ended up needing pain meds to get some rest (well there were other reasons too but that was a big one)... I would rest if you can, you will need the energy when you get into active labor!!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I agree with PPs. I went 41+2 with my current babe, and had lots of prodomal labor. What about a happy medium--watch TV or a movie, but do it while gently bouncing or doing hip circles on your exercise ball?<br><br>
Oh, and I can't recommend prenatal massage enough. I saw a woman who knew all the accupressure points. Best massage ever, and even better, I went into labor less than 12 hours later and delivered her after 4 hours of active labor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts