Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
: 8 mo. old ds FELL OUT OF BED THIS MORNING!!
: He's fine, it scared *me* more than *him* I think! I guess I was always of the mindset 'it won't happen to me...'
And then he started crawling..........

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I keep them in the middle of the bed, btw dh and I. I also try to teach them how to get off the bed by turning around and going feet first- so they're less likely to fall off during the day.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
We have a Snug Tuck pillow, http://www.snugtuckpillow.com/ DS sleeps between me and the snug tuck, I sleep in the middle. DS used to sleep in the middle, but then DH wanted to sleep next to me again.

My sleep cycle is still in tune with DS (9 months), so I still wake slightly before he does. I'll open my eyes for a minute or so, then DS will wake up, sit up and either start patting me or climb on top of me. I'm going to start teaching him to back off the bed also, I think it's time for him to learn.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
DS has never fallen out of bed before...he's always slept btwn us...if i happen to be alone in bed w/him (like for naps or something) i put a barricade of pillows/blankets on the other side of me. i started teaching him how to get off the bed by himself (like PPs have said) after he'd started walking pretty confidently...around 1 i guess.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Well, by the grace of God, dd didn't go off the *foot*yesterday! I went to answer the door and came back and she woke up!
:

She sleeps between us and when we leave the bed we put a pillow vertically as a barrier.

Taking the bed off the frame is a honey do item....

I'm interested in yall teaching your kids how to get off. Dd is 7 1/2 crawling pulling up and standing supported and unsupported briefly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dd up and crawled off the foot of the bed at 3am the other night. I think it was because I had been keeping alot of late hours and I was exhausted. Big cosleeping no-no. Usually I wake up before she even is fully awake.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Mattress on the floor, pushed up against the wall (in the corner), baby sleeps between us, and pillows on the floor. I prefer not to make any sort of wall or rail to keep them from falling because I think once they are crawling they can learn quick to back off the bed and a rail just gives a false sense of security makes it more dangerous when they can crawl over it and doesn't teach them the right way to get down.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I used a bed rail until ds was old enough to try to climb over it at which time I put the mattress on the floor. From about 7 months, started teaching him "feet first" off the bed. He got it, but that didn't help at night. He never slept between us b/c dh sleeps too hard and sometimes roll on ME in the middle of the night. At 12 months, sidecar'd the crib to the bed (back on frame) for more room.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
8 mo is a dangerous age for falling out of bed. At about that age, dd only slept between us in the bed. When dh got up for work, he put up the siderail on his side of the bed. For naps, I'd put her in the playpen to sleep. My dd would crawl over pillows and was always a good roller even before she could crawl. When the playpen nap idea stopped working, I put the bed mattress on the floor and stored the base. dh was NOT happy about that but I remember another baby dying by falling on the floor and suffocating (never leave pillows, blankets lying on the floor beside the bed) so I was pretty terrified at the time. I don't think the danger is so much in the fall (well depending on the height and the surface), the fall probably isn't going to be life threatening, it's the suffocation risk. You just have to constantly update your sleeping arrangements to keep up with their new abilities.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
with dd, we had our queen matress on box springs on the floor. So not very high. We taught her at 8 months, when she started climbing- to go feet first. It worked, and she was always very cautious.

NOw, ds~~~~~~the carefree-throw-caution -to-the-wind sort of little man that he is, has fallen off our bed not once, twice, but--well you get the picture
:
Because we had our bed on new boxsprings that ended up beign higher than we thought, It was just recently he started rolling off,and onto bunch of pillows actually.
Wwe have since moved our mattress on the floor and are building a low wood frame for it

Just teach him feet first, they learn very qiuickly an easily

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is anyone worried about critters with a mattress on the floor? We live in a basement apartment and have issues with spiders, mice, and lightning fast worms with tons of legs. Isn't anyone worried about critters getting in your sheets or crawling on you at night?

Also, it seems like such a waste of storage space.

Anyway, we're having the same problem with crawling child, but I just don't feel like the bed on floor is an option...

Love to hear other options.

Thanks,
melanie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts