Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read something from one of our fellow DDC mommies that struck me.

"your [unborn or nursing] child has no choice but to feel what you [the mama] feel bc emotions are carried chemically thru your blood and milk"

What do you do to relax your mind and body?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Breath! I have anxiety issues and work really hard on this. I can be irritable and don't want to 'terrorize' my family with my crankiness. Its not really their fault. So when I feel it coming on I talk myself down internally and breath.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yoga and gardening. I have a few prenatal yoga dvds/ youtube videos that I find really helpful when I need to slow down and connect with this baby (I definitely agree with PP that breathing is important, I'm an anxious person too). Also, my mom and I have a pretty big organic garden that we are working on a lot right now and that is helpful as a constructive outlet for nervous energy-- it's also really good to just get out in the sunshine. Nurturing our vegetables and herbs and seeing them sprout and flourish gives me confidence in this little sprout and the processes of our bodies :smile:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yoga and gardening. I have a few prenatal yoga dvds/ youtube videos that I find really helpful when I need to slow down and connect with this baby (I definitely agree with PP that breathing is important, I'm an anxious person too). Also, my mom and I have a pretty big organic garden that we are working on a lot right now and that is helpful as a constructive outlet for nervous energy-- it's also really good to just get out in the sunshine. Nurturing our vegetables and herbs and seeing them sprout and flourish gives me confidence in this little sprout and the processes of our bodies :smile:
I think growing a garden while pregnant is one of the most gratifying things I've ever done. i had a beautiful garden when I was pregnant with my 6 year old and my husband just built me a huge new box. We are in CO so we can't plan until after Mother's Day but I have seedlings in the window :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
What are you growing so far?? I love CO (have family in Colo. Springs and Steamboat Springs). I live in the South so our garden is in full swing right now, just got the last of our warm-weather crops like tomatoes, squash, and beans planted and are starting to harvest our early quick stuff (radishes and salad greens). I only had space to grow lettuce in containers when I was pregnant with my daughter (last year was my first big garden) so I'm really looking forward to the garden as a good reason to play and be active with my DD, not to mention all the fresh veggies for free!

·
Registered
56 Posts
What are you growing so far?? I love CO (have family in Colo. Springs and Steamboat Springs). I live in the South so our garden is in full swing right now, just got the last of our warm-weather crops like tomatoes, squash, and beans planted and are starting to harvest our early quick stuff (radishes and salad greens). I only had space to grow lettuce in containers when I was pregnant with my daughter (last year was my first big garden) so I'm really looking forward to the garden as a good reason to play and be active with my DD, not to mention all the fresh veggies for free!
I'm from AL so I remember those long growing seasons! You will love having a big garden while pregnant especially with a toddler! It was a very special time for me and my now 8 year old when I was pregnant with my now 6 year old. I lived in South Korea and it was similar to the AL climate...if you planted it, it grew! You'll have to post pictures for me :)
I have tomatoes, various color bell peppers, jalapenos, eggplants, thyme, oregano and basil growing inside right now. I'll plant lettuce, spinach and broccoli as soon as we stop getting snow threats (sucks!). All the warm weather crops will go in mid-May once we are in the clear for freak spring snow storms (the stuff growing inside, squash, cucumbers, carrots, beets, etc). I'm in the Springs too :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
For stress, I pray, meditate, listen to relaxing music, breathe deeply, etc. Sometimes I need a break from being an adult, so I'll just let loose with the kids. Build a fort...color....take them to the park and pretend those stressors don't exist for an afternoon!

I am so jealous of the gardening ladies!! I've loved doing that in the past. So therapeutic and economical! We can't have one this year. I may try some in containers but I'm not sure about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts