Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do when your chidren are sick? DS is sick, I work part time and go to school full-time, this is the 3rd or 4th time he's been sick in the past two months. Last month his daycare had a flood and was closed for 3 days too. I have NO ONE to help with childcare, DS's father owns his own business but is not willing to take time off. DP has a crazy job and cannot take time off either. I'm really stressed over this, I want to be able to be with my son when he's sick but if I had a real job I'd be fired by now. How do you other working/student mamas handle it?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilian
What do you do when your chidren are sick? DS is sick, I work part time and go to school full-time, this is the 3rd or 4th time he's been sick in the past two months. Last month his daycare had a flood and was closed for 3 days too. I have NO ONE to help with childcare, DS's father owns his own business but is not willing to take time off. DP has a crazy job and cannot take time off either. I'm really stressed over this, I want to be able to be with my son when he's sick but if I had a real job I'd be fired by now. How do you other working/student mamas handle it?
I live in Washington State and we have protection under our FMLA amendments that if you have sick pay you cannot be given a demerit for missing work for a sick dependant. So when DD is sick, depending on what it is, I call into work. She has had some crazy illnesses since going to daycare. She had whooping cough and rotavirus to name a few. Needless to say I have used a lot of sick time. DH works for the same company so we try to trade off sick time. Check with your local hospital and see if they have a sick nursury. There are a lot of single moms in my building that use the hospital when they can't use daycare.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
it's very tough. My DD was more sick in the first year than the rest of the time at day care. She's rarely sick now. I have a back-up in-home provider who can take my DD if she's been just a little sick, but feeling good enough to be up and about. You might check with the other parents in your center and find out what they do. You might ask the center if they have any staff who are off on certain days and willing to be on-call for sickness. I bet they know people who were prior employees or who have a flexible schedule.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
When mine were babies if they were very sick I stayed home. If they were on the mend (acting fine but still running a low grade fever) I brought them to work with me.

I wish I had family nearby to help in those situations.

·
Banned
843 Posts
I call in sick if dd is sick, since I work on campus at dd's daycare they know I am not blowing them off. I have learned that campus jobs and low paying jobs expect more absenteism. I have also found that some professors are willing to work with me to reschedule a test if I call and talk to them before hand. Some are just not and in those cases I have settled for a B or a C. It helps to keep up with homework and to be open to sick days being special movie rental days when you are in need of doing homework.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.