Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never posted on this board but I lurk here a lot and love all the breastfeeding advice/stories. My DS is 11 months and is teething big time. He has bitten my once or twice, I unlatch him and he doesn't do it again. Until this afternoon! He was nursing down for a nap and coming up with new tactics to keep himself awake. He bit me, I took him off and said "no biting honey" in a normal tone of voice and he did it about 6 more times. At that point we stopped nursing and snuggled instead.

I really don't want him to bite me for obvious reasons but I also feel this is my first real limit setting as his mother. What do you do/say when your baby bites. Help!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
This might sound weird, but I unlatch my dd if she bites (she's only 9 mo but has four teeth) and switch her to the other side. She usually doesn't bite over there, and is relieved to be nursing again bc the unlatching makes her cry.
I don't know why but it has worked for us!

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
I am very firm about this, because it gets very painful. Especially if you've already got thrush.
OW! I say "NO BITING!" and pull him off. He stays off the breast for at least 45 seconds, and then if he still wants to nurse I'll put him back on. Most of the time when he bites he's finished nursing anyway, so this works fairly well... until the next tooth comes in, when we begin the dance all over again.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I have a hard time remaining calm and quiet. It hurts! I yelp.

Then I say "Owie, that hurt mommy. Don't bite."

Everytime Karen hurts herself in the course of playing, we pick her up and say "Owie. That looks like it hurt."

We're trying to associate the work "owie" with being hurt. Karen does seem to have gotten the message that it hurts me and she'd stopped despite continued teething.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.