Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do when you get red marks on thighs with almost every brand of diaper you own? Do red marks bother you? Or not?

Kai's been getting some awful red marks on almost all our fitteds. The only things that don't leave marks right now are prefolds, Luxe OC, ss Elbee, SOS and I am trying out our new m/l Mudpies w/ ov right now. I hope those don't leave marks.

Anyway, it is kind of bothering me. I think part of it might have to do with the heat and sweat... At her chunkiest this winter we didnt get red marks this bad.

What do you think? What do you do? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamingMama
Make the leg closures loser. That is what worked for us. Sometimes we do not realize how tight we are putting the diapers on. :LOL
Why the heck didn't I think of that? It seems so simple :LOL

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
We're switching to flats. We had some diapers with elastic that went bad and then I "fixed" them but the elastic is now too tight and he gets red marks. Making new diapers is too much trouble with a toddler so I'm just going to do flats for a while.

Making the leg closures looser certainly helps, but somehow you have to do that and keep the waist tight, something I don't seem to be able to do. Again, mother of a toddler, very few brain cells available for thinking such things through...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageta

Making the leg closures looser certainly helps, but somehow you have to do that and keep the waist tight, something I don't seem to be able to do. Again, mother of a toddler, very few brain cells available for thinking such things through...

I'd like to know that too. I have actually sized up on a few but the diapers seem to go up to her armpits!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use mostly prefolds for that reason...never a red mark. I don't actually get red marks on his thighs from fitteds that close with aplix or those with no closures (snappi-able), so I just stick mainly with those. It greatly limits my stash, but that's okay
I'm totally not cut out for hyena-dom anyway :LOL

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Hmmmm, I don't get red marks, but all we're using right now is elbees, and they have never ever left a red mark, which is one of the reasons why we love them and are only using them for fitted diapers at the moment.

I've had diapers leave red marks and I just don't keep them.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Quote:
Make the leg closures loser. That is what worked for us. Sometimes we do not realize how tight we are putting the diapers on.
That's exactly what we had to do. My dh didn't realise how tight he was putting th cover on dd a couple weeks ago. It left deep, red marks and I was ready to cry for my poor girl. I showed dh( he felt horrible!) and he has to really think to not put the diapers/covers on so tight. It helped that for the first couple days after it happened, dd would remind him.lol 'You 'memeber Da? No hurtings me- make mine diaper NOT tight, ok?'

She'll still remind him every now and then he he diapers ds (dd PL'ed)' Da, nice to mine brother. His diaper has to be not tight!' lol

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisas
I'd like to know that too. I have actually sized up on a few but the diapers seem to go up to her armpits!
You need the size you are using with longer wings for more leg adjustment. That way your rise is going to stay the same but the leg and waist can have major adjustments.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I totally agree with Kathleen. That's what we've always done. Plus, we also get fleece covered leg bindings.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ustasmom
Both T&T and serged styles?
yeah both styles, but I think it might mostly be the really trim ones, trim through the crotch, now that I think about it. She has some huge rolls right on her inner thigh.

We just started having this issue. I am going to have to pay more attention now to which ones and try snapping them looser to see if that helps. Some of the red marks look horrible but fade away after prefokd use for two changes.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterflymom
I've had diapers leave red marks and I just don't keep them.
ooh I can't do that, that would be like everything I own!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spatulagirl
ooh I can't do that, that would be like everything I own!
Don't know what to tell ya--if the marks look uncomfortable I think that's kind fo a big bummer. That's also why I love OV so much--it's so plush & stretchy, it's much less likely to leave marks. Seems like OV AIOs with serged edges are also less likely to leave marks than T&T OV AIOs, since the PUL is actually touching skin around the legs with T&T but not with serged edges. Also seems like leaking would be a bigger problem if you have cotton pants on top, but I've never had a problem since my son isn't a heavy wetter. Now I'm just rambling....

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am obviously going to have to pay closer attention to the red marks and what leaves them and what doesn't.

Angelica, most of my stuff is OV too yet I still am getting those red marks. Urgh.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
My DD gets really bad red marks in anything front snapping. But she also is not walking. So all that sitting and butt scooting could contribute to our problem. We are just using prefolds with bound wool covers now and no red marks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
This is why we've gone to mostly OV too and side snapping so the leg can be looser but the waist still snug. I'm just glad that we no longer have runny poops because sometimes the dipes aren't fully tight around the thigh... For a while I obsessed about the red marks and tried everything, prefolds, flats, etc... still had marks even with pfs. Often we still end up with a bit of red or 'wrinkling' but I figure that even I've got some marks from my undies sometimes and they're not necessarily uncomfortable :LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts