Mothering Forum banner

What do you do when your friends have their children vaccinated?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  tashantx 
#1 ·
Among our friends, we are the only ones who don't vaccinate. Should we make it a priority to know when their children have had their shots and keep our children away for a few days or weeks? What do you do?

#3 ·
I'd probably stear clear of a child who had the chicken pox vaccine because it isn't a wild virus so if my child got it, it woluld not provide lifetime immunity so he would be ill for no reason. From what I understand, this one tends to pass onto other people most frequently. Other than that, only worry if your child has a weak immune system.

#4 ·
The only one I think that has a real possibility of shedding is the chicken pox vaccine. I kept my son away from my GF's son for a few weeks after she had it done. From my understanding, extensive reading & speaking with Dr's the MMR doesn't shed, it is a sterile shot, or at least that's how it was explained to me. Rotavirus is not on the Canadian schedule so don't have to worry about that one.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny_Jen View Post
The only one I think that has a real possibility of shedding is the chicken pox vaccine. I kept my son away from my GF's son for a few weeks after she had it done. From my understanding, extensive reading & speaking with Dr's the MMR doesn't shed, it is a sterile shot, or at least that's how it was explained to me. Rotavirus is not on the Canadian schedule so don't have to worry about that one.

Nope. MMR does shed. Rubella without a doubt. The others probably. It is a live vaccine.

Also the new rotavirus vax sheds. Glad you don't have to worry about it yet

-Angela

#6 ·
I belong to a tribe of women who met here and all live in my city. Some of us vax in part or in full or delayed, some don't vax at all. We all hang out happily together. We do not worry if the kids have a disease or illness and we don't worry if someone got a vax. We are all potentially contagious. The only thing we try to do is stay away from newborns and pregnant moms when we have kids with contagious illnesses or diseases or when they kiddos have had sheddable vaxes. We do not have that as a rule but it is kind of a respectful unwritten policy among friends.

Obviously, we do stay home if someone is seriously ill.

Is it true that MMR is live?

#8 ·
I guess I am supposed to take those comments as a yes.
:

Does not change my position on being friends with all kinds, vaxed, delayed, selective, unvaxed. My own and I do our thing, they do their thing, some do it all. We all get along. Unless someone is fervent, almost religious about it either way. Those people are hard to take, no matter what their position on any issue. I do not like fundamentalists of any kind.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
I'd probably stear clear of a child who had the chicken pox vaccine because it isn't a wild virus so if my child got it, it woluld not provide lifetime immunity so he would be ill for no reason. From what I understand, this one tends to pass onto other people most frequently. Other than that, only worry if your child has a weak immune system.
OK WELL MY SON HAS IMO a leaky gut and yeast overgrowth which is why I really started to look into all of this anyway that does make his immune system a bit compromised right? The leaky gut is imo yeast is obvious (thrush)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.