Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS used to sleep in his crib (poorly, but then again he sleeps poorly all night) until I went to bed, but lately he doesn't even want to do that (he's 1 year old).

What do you do with your baby until you go to bed? Do you just put them in your bed? DS is old enough that I will put him for naps by himself in our bed sometims, and that seems to work out ok, but he gets kinda mad when he wakes up and I'm not there.

· Registered
49 Posts
How do you keep him from falling off the bed?
I nurse my dd to sleep on a downy comforter/pad thing on the floor of my room and sneak out once she's asleep. If she wakes up I do it again. When it's time for me to go to bed, I'll take her with me if she wakes up. If not, I go to sleep and get her later when she wakes up. She rarely cries if she wakes up because I'm on the scene fast.

· Registered
208 Posts
Kristi: Do you have a set time that you expect your ds to go to bed or do you try to get him to sleep when it's obvious that he's tired? My ds went through some changes around a year old. He was going to bed much later than before primarily (I think) because he was still taking 2 naps a day, with his afternoon nap sometimes lasting until 5 or 6pm, which would push back his bedtime.

I ask you about a bedtime because if you are expecting him to go to sleep at some predetermined time, this could be where the trouble is. However, if you do try to get him to sleep when he's obviously tired and he's not acting like he used to then I'd suggest mixing things up a bit. Try some new approaches. Can you put a mattress or bed on the floor in your room or in his room?

My ds is 2 and we've slept all over the house. Now, though, he goes to sleep in his room (nursed to sleep or bounced on an exercise ball) and sleeps on a mattress on the floor. If he wakes up before I go to bed, which he usually does, then I tend to him again, either nursing or bouncing back to sleep. Then, when I'm ready to go to bed, I sleep in his room with him. Dh sleeps in our king sized bed by himself! This arrangement has worked the best for everyone and we all get plenty of sleep. We've been using the mattress on the floor in ds's room since he was 9mo. Prior to that, ds slept with me and dh in our bed.

Good luck...I know how this can be...just when you think you've got some stability, they up and change it! Keeps life interesting, huh?

· Registered
10 Posts
With my 3 yr old dd we ether lrt her fall asleep on the couch (when dh works nights) or one of us lays with her until shes asleep then leave her room dh usually has to lay back down with her around 5 am (when he usually gets off work) and sleep there the rest of the night
With my 2 yr old I rock him to sleep then ether put him on the couch or straight in my bed depending on how busy I am
with my 6 mth old I nurse him to sleep then he goes in his bouncy until I go to bed

· Registered
2,904 Posts
The best solution to this problem that we have come up with is to let Parker sleep on our schedule-dh's and mine, that is. We typically go to bed between 10 and 12 and Parker wakes between 9 and 11. If she happens to fall asleep nursing before we're ready to go to bed, I recline her stroller seat and let her sleep cozy in there. That way she can be near me and if she stirs I can nurse her back to sleep again! This obviously wouldn't work for everyone but it works great for us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.