Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wodering if I do not do enough with my 3 year old. By doing, I mean going places. The nearest fun cool places are about an hour away from my house. We go to the park at least twice a week, and the big park that is 15 minutes away about once a week. We do indoor/outdoor Mcdonalds or burger king about once a week. We go to the library once a week. And of course we do all the shopping together, I try to make it fun. That is about all we go. My friend says I do not take my son enough places. She is going nonstop with her 3 year old from the time he wakes up til the time he goes to bed. She goes to the beach, the zoo, the museums, etc(all an hour away) 1. I cannot afford this 2. my ds HATES the car 3. my ds still naps, hers doesnt so we need to be home for downtime. I am starting to feel guilty that i dont do all these things, like ds is missing out on great fun. I just want to slow down, we love being at home and going on walks, we have spent the whole day today baking so far, and now we are about to go outside. What do you do with your kids?

·
Registered
58 Posts
More power to you Mama! We don't do to much either, a bit more now that dd is almost four, but still, not as much as many other moms and kids. When she wants to get out of the house and neighborhood, she lets me know, and otherwise, we enjoy puttering together. I don't like the feeling of scheduling our days around trips to kidcentric places, it feels weird and not natural to me. I also truly believe that the most important skill my dd will ever learn is to entertain herself. If the outings you are taking are enough for you and your family, it's enough!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transitions View Post
I just want to slow down
I'm striving for that! To slow down. Although I am a full time WOH Mama, I DO strive to do 1 big thing with DS every month. We live in a big city (Atlanta) so finding something "to do" is easy

So something big has included:

The Children's Museum
GA Aquarium
Chuck E Cheese
World of Coca Cola (New)

Just to name a few. But here's a suggestion, I scour our local Parenting Magazine (Atlanta Parent) that comes out every month and ALWAYS include happenings/events for Kids. It's proven to be very resourceful, maybe your City has something like that.

But the rest of the weekends, DH (WAHD to DS) and I are just too busy and we almost have to strive for down time...so going to the grocery store is an "event" for our family sometimes.

DH came up with something neat (and free) to do with DS. We live near the airport so last night the 3 of us drove there, parked and watched airplanes land. Since DS loves cars, planes and trains he was in heaven
It was really neat to see those planes up close.

Another idea DH thought of is to take DS on a train ride (the City's transit system). He's never been on a train before. It's $1.75 pp but still a good deal!

Just some ideas!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.