Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
What about a swimming class? That would get some energy out & he wouldn't have the ability to really interact that much w/the other kids. Even though it's cold out, you could always just dress really warm to get some outside time (not too much, but a little).

I also want to give you hugs & thank you for being such a sensitive and responsive parent. I attend a playgroup weekly where there is a spirited child and my dd has been on the recieving end more than once (he outweighs her by about 10lbs, they're exactly the same age). It's a very ackward situation and I feel very uncomfortable because I don't think the mother responds well to it (she also has a 6month old, so she's not available for close supervision, KWIM?).

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
If I were you, I would not let the weather keep me inside. We invested in some good quality winter and rain gear for our boys (and ourselves!), and I'm so glad we did. It is so nice to not feel restricted by the weather anymore. I still wouldn't go out to play if it was colder than 15 degrees, but that's not the norm where we live--it's usually about 20-35 here (don't know what the weather's like exactly where you are). Snow is a great thing to play in with a spirited toddler! It takes lots of energy to walk through snow, and it can be manipulated, rolled around in, jumped in, etc. We've only had one good snowfall so far this year, but we had a lot of fun playing in it while it lasted.

www.patagonia.com sells capilene long underwear for adults, kids and babies that will really keep you warm. I don't leave home without it! it is expensive, but will most likely last two winters.

I cannot imagine being cooped up inside all winter with ANY toddler, let alone a spirited toddler!

·
Registered
780 Posts
this is something we do when things get desperate around here. we go to the airport. i don't how good of an idea this is if you have a big airport but ours is very small (only 3 flights out a day) but it has an elevator and lots of stairs and a toy area. he just runs and runs and runs. ds also loves to play in the car, so sometimes i just sit in the passengers seat while he 'drives'. it's not big but its new, yk? maybe you could even bring a magazine or book. good luck mama!! i know it's hard, it's the reason i kinda hate winter.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sorry that you've had a hard time lately. I know what you are going through. I have a very spirited 3.5 year old. Sometimes they need lots of unstructured physical play. My son is able to handle gymnastics very well now. Your son is still a bit young so don't feel bad if he is not in gymnastics etc. Also working with clay and playdough works well. Is there a children's museum where you live? If so that's your place. Try talking to people in a local homschooling group because a lot of time they have little ones and activities for kids during the week- if you can find the right group they are likely to understand his unique characteristics and be a great help to you.

I know it helps when I am around people who care and understand- most of the time it is people who think we are weird. -hee hee.

Hang in there and remember "Let's get Physical-physical...."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.