Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when the money is gone and you don't know where to find more, the schools are not providing your child with the programming that he needs, you have an AMAZING private program in place but the cost is sinking you financially, all the bill collectors are pounding down your door but to stop this program so you can pay the bills would mean your child doesn't get a chance to learn ... and of course the schools are not required to provide the "best" education, just "adequate" ... I really hate that. Feeling really down tonight I guess. Autism stinks, but school systems stink even more. Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Wow, this sure sounds familiar. I'm facing something very similar. I have NO money... (just got shut off notices for my phone and electric bill).
The public school system (where my son has been getting speech and occupational therapy) does not provide summer services and I can't afford to pay for services for him. He's been regressing with his behavior, etc and it really upsets me. He's going to be a MESS when school starts in Sept.
He will be starting a 3 morning (mon, wedn, fri) preschool class. Half the kids are 'normal'/typical, half are special needs.
To be honest, I'm not thrilled about it but I do realize ds needs help socializing with other children. The public school is pretty lousy though so I'm not happy.

Waah.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If the schools can't provide what your child needs, then they have to locate/pay for it from outside sources. At least according to my friend who is a special ed teacher.

That said, you will have to FIGHT for it!! You can start by researching and talking to lots of education people.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I've fought and fought for it but they claim that because ds wasn't in the school system long enough, he doesn't qualify for any summer programs.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
We make too much money to get SSI ($70 per month too much!?!).

I called 17 different agencies (Easter Seals, United Way, United Cerebral Palsy, etc.) and no one could help other than offer income based help which we make slightly too much to qualify for. Also the waiting lists are several YEARS long!

We were thinking of selling one of our cars (our second newest an 89 Corvette) to pay for 1 year of therapy!

Our insurer United HMO wouldn't pay and the therapist's office we chose would accept us but at $90/30 minutes! (If insurance pays they accept a $20 co-pay and $25 from the insurer but they won't let me pay the $45 rate even if I paid a year in advance!)

We finally got our insurer to pay for my son's oral motor therapy after seeing a pediatric neurologist. We had to fight for 7 months! In the company's master plan there is an exception for children like my son. They also have an exception for autistic children but again you have to fight.

{{{Hugs}}} My DH just got a promotion but the raise was only $3K!?! We want to look for another job for him but we don't want to lose our insurance benefits so we're stuck here. The insurance benefits outweigh the paltry raise (my DH is salaried and works 6 days a week most weeks).

Here in central FL the school system is like #47 so we don't utilize them either. Our local university has an autism program. The waiting list is 2 years long but it's shorter than other places.

Best wishes to you and your family. I hope you find a solution soon.

Sincerely,
Debra

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Here in FL your child has to be in the school system 1 year before they will pay for outside help through the McKay Scholarship Program. I learned this from the United Cerebral Palsy Foundation. A kind lady explained the system to me. She also said they fill up quickly and were full for this school year.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What do you do? Fighting the school system takes LOTS of time and money, you can try to apply for a waiver, try insurance, try your county program, medicaid.....

and if they don't work out, you beg. Family and friends and your church and community, have a fund-raiser. Your child needs treatment just as surely as if he had cancer. You've been hit with tons of medical bills, it's important to refer to them as "medical" because it helps put it in perspective for those who you are asking to help. ABA costs many thousands of dollars per year (or month) but it's a treatment for a nerological disorder, the only one shown to work in research studies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts