Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
We make too much money to get SSI ($70 per month too much!?!).

I called 17 different agencies (Easter Seals, United Way, United Cerebral Palsy, etc.) and no one could help other than offer income based help which we make slightly too much to qualify for. Also the waiting lists are several YEARS long!

We were thinking of selling one of our cars (our second newest an 89 Corvette) to pay for 1 year of therapy!

Our insurer United HMO wouldn't pay and the therapist's office we chose would accept us but at $90/30 minutes! (If insurance pays they accept a $20 co-pay and $25 from the insurer but they won't let me pay the $45 rate even if I paid a year in advance!)

We finally got our insurer to pay for my son's oral motor therapy after seeing a pediatric neurologist. We had to fight for 7 months! In the company's master plan there is an exception for children like my son. They also have an exception for autistic children but again you have to fight.

{{{Hugs}}} My DH just got a promotion but the raise was only $3K!?! We want to look for another job for him but we don't want to lose our insurance benefits so we're stuck here. The insurance benefits outweigh the paltry raise (my DH is salaried and works 6 days a week most weeks).

Here in central FL the school system is like #47 so we don't utilize them either. Our local university has an autism program. The waiting list is 2 years long but it's shorter than other places.

Best wishes to you and your family. I hope you find a solution soon.

Sincerely,
Debra

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Here in FL your child has to be in the school system 1 year before they will pay for outside help through the McKay Scholarship Program. I learned this from the United Cerebral Palsy Foundation. A kind lady explained the system to me. She also said they fill up quickly and were full for this school year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts