Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I didn't want to highjack the "cold cereal" thread, but it prompted me to ask a few questions:

What kind of foods do you eat for breakfast?
Why?
How do you keep your morning meal prep-time down to a minimum?

We rotate between local eggs cooked a variety of ways, locally-made granola with either raw milk or raw milk yogurt (that I make), oatmeal, occasionally french toast or pancakes when I have more time, and add to these a variety of fruit (fresh or frozen, depending on the season).

I grew up in a sugary, cold-cereal household. Right now breakfast is pretty basic so I would LOVE some more ideas.

·
Registered
759 Posts
For us it is almost always eggs with veggies. I have washed and cut up broccoli in the fridge, add that to a cast iron skillet with some butter, coconut oil or lard, cover and simmer for a few minutes while I get the kids dressed. The take out of the pan, add mor butter and eggs, scramble or fry for a few minutes, (while i wash my face, clean up, make tea) and voila...And my kids love it. They are usually begging for the broccoli before te eggs are done. And I havet wo daycare kiddos too and they are the same. I also make oats sometimes...and occasionally gluten free pancakes ( blender recipe) or waffles...

I grew up in Holland and cereal was not a thing there so I really dont like eating it in the morning ( or ever, really) but DH had a hard time switching for a while ( untill I started adding bacon or sausage to his eggs
)

Tanya

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Breakfast is my grain meal - baked oatmeal, sweet rice, quinoa, pinhead oats, things like that. I usually soak overnight and cook in the morning and for baked oatmeal, I just pop the piece I want in the toaster over for a few, to heat a little bit.

Sometimes I have toasted sourdough bread with coconut oil and honey.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I usually have a kefir smoothie. I fall into ruts, eating the same thing for breakfast for months, and that's been a long-running one
Often, I'll divide my smoothie in half and save a portion for an afternoon snack, then partake in whatever I'm making for the kids.

The girls' favorite breakfast is baked egg cups. I sautee veggies ahead of time (usually something along the lines of peppers, onions, garlic and leafy greens like kale or chard) with crumbled sausage or chopped bacon. In the morning, I put a big spoonful of that in the bottom of a souffle cup. For my own, I like to crack eggs over it whole, then pour in a tablespoon of cream. My girls prefer the eggs beaten with the cream or milk. I bake them in the toaster oven until they're nice and puffy, then I sprinkle on grated cheese and chopped tomato and throw them back in for a few more minutes. Everything except the eggs themselves is prepared ahead of time, so it takes only a minute or two preparation in the morning. They bake for maybe 20 minutes or so. Sometimes, instead of roasting tomato on top for those last few minutes, I'll put pico de gallo on top. I've been meaning to experiment with altering that, maybe using smoked salmon and dill with zucchini or asparagus, for variety.

Other times, we have basic eggs and breakfast meats. Occasionally I'll make pancakes. Used to be, I'd do sourdough pancakes frequently. Now we're doing g/f pancakes, which aren't as good nor as good for us, so they're a pretty rare treat. Sometimes I'll do french toast with sourdough spelt bread (dd2 and I seem to tolerate spelt ok, I'm vacillating on my opinions on that topic
)

I've had things like huevos rancheros that were fantastic, and ought to be so easy to make; but, I haven't wrapped my early-morning brain around it yet
: Same with fritattas.

Sometimes I just eat leftovers for breakfast. For instance, a little bit of leftover cold meat, together with my smoothie.

When I was in Phoenix this past week, I was feeling so parched and was on a serious fruit binge. Since I didn't have all my fixin's for smoothies with me (blender, kefir grains, etc.), I was instead making up huge bowls of fruit salad and pouring whole milk yogurt over top. I had that most mornings, with a little bacon on the side, occasionally a fried egg.

I've been trying to up the proportion of raw foods in my diet. On my best days, I think I'm around 60-75%; on normal days, around 50% (and I'm not having *too* many real slacker days lately
). My smoothie is entirely raw (well, I'm not sure if the CLO is considered raw or not, but it's a very tiny proportion of the smoothie.) This is why I switched to using the pico de gallo on the baked eggs when I make them, instead of putting tomatoes on top to roast.

Getting vegetables into breakfast has been a real change in thought processes for me, even more so than getting out of the cold cereal rut. I *love* savory vegetables, and love things like fritattas with veggies in them, or huevos rancheros with pico de gallo on top. But, I'm not well into the routine of thinking out breakfast the night before, and life breaks down here if I spend an hour and a half on food prep before the kids can eat. So, while we're working in the right direction here, I need to get in a better prep routine mindset.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Le Creuset makes these little ramekins, I bought a 2 pack at Marshall's for $5.99, they carry them quite often.

Dds usually eat 1 egg, over easy with a piece of sprouted multigrain & a kefir smoothie, and of course, CLO. Or, they'll eat NT breakfast porridge with steel cut oats & wheat berries with butter, maple syrup & raw milk.

I'll eat 3 eggs, over easy with a sweet potato, CLO & a kefir smoothie. I also love the NT breakfast porridge - after soaking it overnight, it cooks in 5 minutes in the morning.

I've also been known to eat leftover salmon or chicken for breakfast. I can't afford natural bacon, it's just too much money.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Pre-kid I had 2-3 eggs, bacon, and buttered toast. Now that's the occasional weekend breakfast when the husband can keep Abby occupied while I cook. Or pancakes or french toast sometimes (depends on what's leftover in the breadbox and how much cooking time we've got).

Post-kid, it's porridge (soaked oats, milk, and salt) and yogurt. Cooks up in just a couple of minutes. Maybe an apple if I'm still hungry after that.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I use either cheapie ceramic ramekins from Target, or pyrex souffle cups. The eggs do stick to the sides. I've tried oiling them, and that worked, the eggs didn't stick; but, we found it was actually easier to eat when it *did* stick. When it doesn't stick, the lump of eggs and stuff kind of spins freely in the dish when you try to cut it with your fork. When it's hot, that's a pain in the butt - especially for the kids! So, it sticks inside the dish, but that's fine, we just eat it all out with our spoons.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
The girls' favorite breakfast is baked egg cups. I sautee veggies ahead of time (usually something along the lines of peppers, onions, garlic and leafy greens like kale or chard) with crumbled sausage or chopped bacon. In the morning, I put a big spoonful of that in the bottom of a souffle cup. For my own, I like to crack eggs over it whole, then pour in a tablespoon of cream. My girls prefer the eggs beaten with the cream or milk. I bake them in the toaster oven until they're nice and puffy, then I sprinkle on grated cheese and chopped tomato and throw them back in for a few more minutes. Everything except the eggs themselves is prepared ahead of time, so it takes only a minute or two preparation in the morning. They bake for maybe 20 minutes or so. Sometimes, instead of roasting tomato on top for those last few minutes, I'll put pico de gallo on top. I've been meaning to experiment with altering that, maybe using smoked salmon and dill with zucchini or asparagus, for variety.
YUM--what a great idea! I don't have any ramekins, but I'll put those on my b-day wish list
Sounds like they'd be easy to tailor to each person's taste and I could use leftover meats and veggies.

I am not soaking grains right now. You all soak them in whey, right? For some reason I am having trouble getting my milk to separate properly without getting too sour. I've had to dump out several attempts. I really need to get that act together!
:

I'm really enjoying reading all of your morning meal ideas. Keep 'um comin'.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Typical breakfast for us during the week is local eggs w/ wholewheat or sprouted grain toast and butter. My husband lays out everything the night before and makes breakfast while I get ready and my son is walking up. He brings me mine upstairs to have after I have showered and leaves our sons on the counter until he is ready. Oh, often my son gets toad-in-the-holes too

On the weekend we have soft boiled eggs w/ a variety of grains-sometimes toast, sometimes over oatmeal or bulgar wheat. Most Sundays I make pancakes, waffles or french toast. I add flax seed to the mix sometimes. I make a ton to freeze for own version of Eggo's. My son gave me the cutest waffle make that is circus shapes-makes breakfast a lot of fun.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I have a slice of baked oatmeal with cream and a kefir smoothie made with bananas and frozen berries. I'm a WOHM and this is the healthiest breakfast I can think of that is as fast as cold cereal. And it keeps me going til lunch without the need for a snack.

Sometimes I will make a hardboiled egg instead of the oatmeal. And I'll make extras so I'll have them as snacks. On the weekends I make sourdough pancakes and bacon.

I would love omlettes but DD and DH don't seem to like them much

·
Registered
218 Posts
There was a great article in the most recent Mothering that gave me some good ideas for breakfast. I think the article was Gluten Free Breakfast. There were a few vegetarian meals and one with tofu
but it gave some good ideas nonetheless.

The author talks about breaking out of the SAD breakfasts of cold cereal, bread and eggs. My DH read the article and really liked some of the ideas, which is great cause when we met he was all about having the "right" foods at the right meals.

Yesterday for breakfast I took round steak, cut it into strips and sauteed it in butter and EVOO. Then I added chili powder, some diced ancho chilis, salt, and cumin. I served it with refried black beans that I had made the day before. It was really yummy and satisfying. Next week we are going to have Miso soup for breakfast one day, and probably steak again another day.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Normally, I like cold cereal for breakfast!

But on the weekends, when there is more time, I am totally loving poached eggs on ww toast and blue cheese right now. Oh man, yum.

I also really like berries and yogurt and granola. Or, multigrain pancakes/waffles with either unsweetened applesauce/ maple syrup.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I alternate between a couple of scrambled eggs, usually with grated raw cheese and salsa and a slice of ezekiel 4:9 toast with raw butter and all-fruit spread or raw honey...and a grain: steel cut oats, sprouted cream of spelt cereal or brown rice pudding. Though I love porridges I find I'm hungry just over an hour after I eat them. Maybe my blood sugar dosn't like pure grain meals (even with lots of fat)? I probably need to eat an egg with them, too.
Sometimes I do whole yogurt with chopped fruit and nuts...especially when it's already 100 at 7 am in the summer hehe.

Saturdays I make soaked spelt pancakes or crepes and its our treat day for some natural sausage or bacon. Sundays we have to get up early because my husband runs the sound system at church, so we usually splurge and get a machaca burrito at a local carniceria (white flour tortilla...but everything is home-made- no preservatives!).

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Today I had a Dungerness crab cake pan fried in coconut oil with a fried egg on top.

The children usually have a raw egg smoothie made with homemade 24 hour yogurt or kefir, raw cream, a couple of raw egg yokes and sweetened with raw unheated honey, today they had strawberries, but the fruit varies. They aren't big breakfast eaters.

DD's very favorite breakfast is oatmeal with maple syrup and raw cream, but I don't always remember to soak the oats overnight, so she doesn't get it often.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oat groats with banana and cinnamon cooked into it

Smoothie w/toast and/or fruit - smoothies are typically kefir/yogurt/milk and a bit of colostrum with whatever frozen fruit sounds good that day

Scrambled eggs w/toast and/or fruit

Breakfast burritos - scrambled eggs and breakfast sausage (previously chicken, but getting some high quality pork in a few weeks) and raw cheddar with whole wheat or sprouted wheat tortillas (kids won't even try sprouted wheat tortillas yet, so I eat those and buy whole wheat ones for them) w/fruit

Hard boiled eggs w/muffins and fruit

Egg McMuffins - homemade English muffins (lotsa work, but yummy!) served with eggs and bacon or sausage and cheese

Melanie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.