Mothering Forum banner

What Have You Given Up While PG/BF?

• Smoking Tobacco/Herb

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Alcohol

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • Cruciferious vegies(broccoli, brussel sprouts-etc.)

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Beans, Onions, Garlic, Strong Spices

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Negative Media/Violent Movies, 'Entertainment'

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • CHOCOLATE!!!!!!

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • CHOCOLATE!!!!!!

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Deli Meats/Raw Eggs/Unsafe Seafood/Cheese

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • Aspirin/OTC Drugs

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • Checking Oil/Gassing Up Vehicle

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Litter Box Cleaning

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Green Jello! (That's DH Contribution! LOL)

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Negative/Unsupportive People/Attitudes

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Cosmetics/Hair Dyes/Perms/Nail Polish

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • Other (Explain if you want to)

Votes: 9 23.7%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mommas! I was wondering...what do you forego/give up while pregnant/ breastfeeding?
:bf
I miss BEANS! I've had them a couple times and poor DD always pays for it in the gas dept!

I gave up smoking when I became pregnant with my DS over 13 yrs. ago.
I don't drink alcohol while pregnant and only ocassional glass of wine/sip of beer while bf.

I eliminated caffeine from my diet while pregnant & breastfeeding because I had read it can alter DNA!

I miss onions/garlic, brussel sprouts/cauliflower/cruciferious vegies but -oh well...I'll be able to again soon enough

I also don't watch the news or any disturbing movies that will upset 'my world' while pregnant.

CHOCOLATE!! I almost forgot it's been so long! I haven't had a bite of it for almost 4 mos. now.

Nail polish! I have refused to even paint my toenails while pregnant & breastfeeding-(that stuff is BAD!)

Pumping gas- I haven't had to pump gas or check oil for a year now!

Dresses! I reallly miss dresses because I have to have boobie access 24/7, and don't have any nursing dresses.
sad
That's all I can think of right now! What have you quit/given up?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Some of the things on your list I normally would avoid regardless, but I checked them anyway...
Some things not on your list that I now avoid include:
milk/dairy
eggs
coffee
pretty panties/bras
non-ap friends
anything perfumed or overly scented (just can't stand the smell)
sleep (ok, not by choice)
in-laws

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've never given up anything in the past (I don't drink alcohol anyway). Nadia has quite a few food allergies, so now I'm avoiding dairy, soy, corn, wheat, rice, onions, peanuts and almonds. I haven't tried Garlic or other foods from the Lily family, because her reaction to onion was so strong, and there are quite a few foods that I haven't even tried yet to see if she reacts or not.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Hmm... I can only really answer that I gave up caffiene (occassionally will drink a Coke though) because of pg/bf.

Many of the things on your list I have had to give up for my own health:
Foods containing MSG (causes migraines)
Perfumes (causes migraines)
Toxic cleaners (to make our home environment healthier for all of us)
Dairy (I can handle small amounts, but I cannot handle sour cream on tacos and a scoop of ice cream in the same day. I can handle dairy cooked in food though. This suddenly came on about two months ago.
: )

PS- I too quit painting my toenails a few years ago because I could only do it outside due to the fumes. It only seemed to last a few days anyway...

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
The day I found out I was pregnant, both DH and I quit smoking and will never start so long as we have children.

During my pregnancy I gave up raw oysters (that was a tough one!!). I actually kept drinking the occaisonal glass of wine, until I was about 7 months, then it would make me nauseous so I stopped.

Since BFing I have not had to give up anything. Luckily my DD has no reactions and I don't need any meds.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts

The only thing on your list I could definitely identify was litter box cleaning. My husband did that while I was pregnant. I actually took it over in my late pregnancy because I read it was only dangerous if your first exposure was during pregnancy. Since I've had my cat for eight years, I guess I would have probably been exposed by now.

Other than that, I didn't smoke while pregnant but occasionally indulge now (once every couple of months or so) if I know DD is down for the night.

Had the VERY occasional beer while pregnant and now while nursing (again if I know DD is down for the night).

Have never really used medications. DD hasn't had any food reactions. Business as usual (with limitations).

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I couldn't really vote. My kids have totally not been sensitive to anything I've eaten, so I just eat as normal. We eat a lot of garlic. The kids don't mind.

I've never really cared much for chocolate (freak! you say? Yup...but I still don't care much for chocolate, 4 M&M's and I'm done). I'm lactose intolerant so I've been used to not having much dairy for a long time. I don't drink, never did smoke. I'm not into makeup or polish or perms or perfumes or anything like that (I absolutely LOATHE hairspray). So in the end, I didn't give much up at all. Maybe dresses. I used to wear dresses once or twice a week. Now I only have one dress that fits, and I've worn it twice in the year I've owned it.

Come to think of it, I can't really think of any way that breastfeeding inconveniences me in my day-to-day habits :). I guess I had breastfeeding-friendly habits and lucked out with non-food-sensitive kids.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
luckily for me, none of my children have ever had any reactions to the things I've eaten.

But I don't drink at all when I'm pregnant/breast-feeding (I'm not a big drinker anyway, so it isn't a huge sacrifice). I also don't use over the counter drugs while pregnant, and only if I feel AWFUL while breastfeeding.

But I have given up peanuts and all tree nuts, to hopefully prevent nut allegies in my kids (they haven't had nuts either). I must say - I really REALLY miss peanut M&Ms!

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
I checked everything that I have avoided while preg/nursing (smoking, alcohol, over-the-counter drugs, gasoline, litter boxes, and Cosmetics/Hair Dyes/Perms/Nail Polish) but only two of them (over-the-counter drugs and gasoline) are things that I gave up specifically for TTC/preg/nursing. The rest of them (smoking, alcohol, litter boxes, and cosmetics/hair dye/perms/nail polish) are things that I have always avoided anyway, so I didn't have to "give them up."

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
Okay, I'm insane. I don't know why this post came out so long. I put it up last night and didn't like what I said so I'm editing. Wow, I feel like I just had some sort of "confession" session…

While pregnant, I limited alcohol (although I did have a glass of wine or a beer after the 1st trimester). I don't think I gave up anything else on your list but my daughter was born a week after Sept. 11, 01 so I gave up the telephone and the news for several weeks.

I didn't have to give up any food and I ate most of the thins on the list, in fact, I didn't even know that some of those things weren't recommended.

I gave up some headache medicine (can't remember which) but I just switched to the safer one. Maybe I gave up some harder drugs that I may have continued to take but I'm not breastfeeding anymore and I haven't been inclined to partake. My dirty secret was taking an occasional valium while breastfeeding. I don't know if it did any harm to my daughter but I know it did my entire family some good.

I gave up time totally alone and free from children or family while breastfeeding but, for me I think I'll never be alone again and I hope to never be "free" from my child. I am looking forward to a night or two away from my child, which I hope is coming up in this next year.

I did give up casual smoking during pregnancy but smoked as many cigarettes that I wanted while breastfeeding but that was only a couple of drags a few times, which probably didn't amount to more than one cigarette in 1.5 years.

And, I did give up caffeine in the early stages of my pregnancy, mostly because I didn't know if I had to and also because I think I was in a rush for there to be something "different", you know being pregnant and all.

I continued to color my hair, which I did have some angst about but I compromised and waited until after the 1st trimester.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.