Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
well, i inquired about a peer counceling position at the WIC office an all i had to have was bf experience. The fact that i had nursed my daughter to three thrilled the lady, but it sisn not work out. I am not sure, but you may need to be a nutritionist to hav the councelor job.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
For breastfeeding, IIRC you have to be a LLC and to be a counselor you need to be an RD. Our state is piloting a peer breastfeeding program that just requires you to wanna do it and have bfing experience. I hear it's going great with more interest than they ever thought!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I wish they had peer counseling in my area. I would be on that in a heartbeat!

As it is now I am in school to become an R.D. and hopefully one day an LC as well. WIC counseling is just the kind of job I want, I need to dispell some of the awful advice I've heard some of those counselors give!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I'm a peer councelor in IN, i'm just a peer counselor, nothing eles, not a LC and don't have a degree at all. just went through peer counclor training at with my regianal LC so i would start with asking your office, PM if you want for more details tomorrow. LMK what county you are in too!
NAK and need to get dd to sleep.... ER's coming on too! LOL

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Cool... I've thought about volunteering at WIC. I've actually had several conversations with the peer counselor at the WIC office here when I hosted my Nurse Outs and back when I was on WIC.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
A frtiend of mine here just volunteered...we have a lot of interest in our area, and lots of qualified people, and the position only pays 20 hrs per week..right now, 2 women are splitting that 20 hours...anyone beyond that is volunteer, no pay....

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Oh wow, I didn't imagine any of it would be paid. If I was volunteering say, next year would I be able to take a tiny newborn in the sling with me? Of course I know my questions would be best answered by the Bf counselour herself, I'll have to call her!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.