Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if this should go here or not but it seemed like the place to put this.

what do you pay your babysitters and hr/day?

i have just started to watch a friends of mines two children. first son is just over 2 the other son is 8 months old. they are brought to my house for now cause i also have 2 children(soon to be 2 and 10months). right now i am watching them for 2 weeks for 40hrs. (mother is training) then i will only be watching them for 10 hrs or so a week. im not sure what would be a fair price? she had said something about $70 a week, but when i figured it out that is only $1.75/hr for both kids
: i could see more of the $70 being for the times that i will be watching them for the 10hrs a week. but when i figured that out that was $7/hr for both kids. which is not bad. but when i do that to the hrs im doing for the first 2 weeks its $280 a week. which seems like a lot to me. both her and the kids father will be working which is why i am watching them. i know that the mother will keep her job but the father can really be a dead beat and quit the minute he hates the job without even having another one lined up. which means this job could be lost kinda quickly.

what should i do? i dont want to ask for too much but i dont want to be ripped off either. i live in western new york if that helps any. (min wage is $5.15/hr) any help would be great. thanks.

Lisa

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I would ask around your community, or on here, in your tribal area. You should be paid at least minimum wage (esp considering you're watching 2 kids, not one). Around NYC, $10/hour for one child, is really the starting point...but the cost of living is so much higher, that it's not really comparable to Western NY (my ILs are from central NY, and things are much cheaper up there).

I think generally one would expect to pay a bit less to a SAHM who is also minding her own children, but still a reasonable wage. Other things that might come into play - is the other family providing food, or are you? Do you ever do activities that cost money (the zoo, etc)?

Good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I pay my sitter (who also happens to be my elder daughter) $10/hour. In terms of child care, my younger daughter attends center-based care at $171/week. When she starts B-A care in three weeks, I will pay $81/week.

In order for you to determine what is an appropriate price to charge, do a little market research. Do not undervalue your services simply because you are working out of your home or will be providing care for your own children at the same time. You are still providing a service which has value and which affords another the leisure to pursue activities other than child-rearing.

I am assuming you will be operating on a cash basis...if so, bear in mind that you are not paying into Social Security or receiving benefits of any kind (which are, in themselves, hidden wages.)

Who is providing diapers/wipes/ointment? Who is providing food? If you, factor those costs into your decision-making.

"but when i do that to the hrs im doing for the first 2 weeks its $280 a week"

For two children, that is incredibly reasonable. I think you're being generous in charging her so little. Infant care here runs upwards of $225/week; toddler care slightly less.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i will be providing food just for these 2 weeks for the oldest son. she brings food and Breast milk for the youngest. i use cloth diapers on my kids and thats what i am using on her kids. (gave her some of my extras for her to do CDs part time to help with costs) we wont be going any where. min wage is only $5.15 an hr here. most places that do pay over min wage dont pay much over it. i know she said her start pay is like $6.25/hr. the father is supposto help her pay also. (they dont live together) ill have to talk to her and see what we can figure out. how would i find out what the going rate is around here for babysitters. i mean when i look into daycare the cost was $40/day for my son and like $38 for my Daughter or like $150/ week for an infant. could i go off of that or is babysitting and daycare two totally different things when it comes to childcare?

Lisa

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kittynpokey
well i will be providing food just for these 2 weeks for the oldest son. she brings food and Breast milk for the youngest. i use cloth diapers on my kids and thats what i am using on her kids.
Factor in those costs, then.

" how would i find out what the going rate is around here for babysitters. "

Just call around. They'll tell you.

"could i go off of that or is babysitting and daycare two totally different things when it comes to childcare? "

Well, center-based care is more expensive to run; however, the children don't receive the individualized attention they do in home-based care. It's a question of taste and of trade-offs.

It seems to me that you want to help your friend. That's commendable. I would urge you not to do it at the expense (literal and otherwise) of your own family. Charge her a decent price, and she'll take your services more seriously. Think of this as a business transaction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.