Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I used orange marmalade all-fruit spread on dd's orange birthday cake. Any fruit spread would work, if you can find a complementary flavor

I've read that you can whip cream cheese, if you don't mind dairy. Maybe sweeten it with a bit of agave nectar or maple syrup if it seems to need it.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I was going to suggest a fruit-only jam or jelly, which are just as sweet as the ones with sugar but without so much sugar. You can also use a little bit of icing and then lots of fresh fruit to decorate. I'd also go for the cream cheese topping, either milk or soy, and then some fruit or jam. If you want to splurge and make it really fancy, you can also use edible flowers. Those look and stay beautifully on a cream cheese topping.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My cousin has this recipe that she uses, it's mostly just yogurt, mixed with some butter. It's still thick and decadent feeling but without all that sugar, and it's not that sticky-sweet-gaggy texture. She uses it for her kids' birthdays on a plain yellow cake, and it's very yummy! I don't know that it's 'healthy', considering the butter, but it's definitely 'healthier'. I bet it'd be pure deliciousness with some berries mixed into the cake and used for decoration as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.