Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<a href="http://www.betterhealthchannel.com.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Foreskin_problems_Q&A?open" target="_blank">http://www.betterhealthchannel.com.a...blems_Q&A?open</a><br><br>
Q. My 11 year old son has already reached puberty. His penis is about 4½ inches (11.5cm) and he is not circumcised. I noticed that he cannot bring the foreskin back over the entire head - only about a quarter of an inch - and there seems to be some slight bend or curve. Should I be concerned?<br>
In a young boy who has not been circumcised, the normal foreskin requires no special care until he is about five or six. <b>However, from the age of six or seven, all males should practise proper hygiene. It is important to retract the foreskin and wash all of the area at least once a week.</b> The first few times this occurs, the retraction needs to be gentle, with gradual progression on each occasion until the foreskin can be fully retracted without discomfort.<br><br><b>Your son should be able to slide his foreskin back and needs to be seen by your doctor if he cannot retract it fully. Certain conditions, including infections under the foreskin, may result in scarring and cause the tissue of the foreskin to stick to the head of the penis.</b>

·
Registered
792 Posts
Is anyone else a little weirded out about the nature of that question? Maybe it's just me. I don't have a son, so I guess I can't fully understand the parent/son dynamic.<br><br>
I just read through all those questions and think the "expert" is full of it. IMHO

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>MonicaS</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Is anyone else a little weirded out about the nature of that question?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
YES!!! AT first, I couldn't even consider the advice given because I was so distracted by the question!! What in the world is a parent doing observing their 11 yr old attempting to retract his foreskin??????? :shudder: I didn't instill a great deal of modesty in my kids, but ds just naturally covered himself by a certain age--I can't imagine him at 11, letting me see his penis or watch him retract his foreskin.<br><br>
Okay, let me try and get past that...<br><br>
I would think that, since he's partially retractable, he's on his way to becoming completely retractable. But, with everything, I'm of the mind to sit back and let nature take care of things.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Unfortunately this boy will be taken to a ped/urologist who will most likely recommend FORCED retraction in the office,which leads to trauma,infections,and so on. Then ofcourse circumcision will be recommended because of all the problems with his foreskin. THEN ofcourse he will become another one of those stories of..."I knew a boy who NEEDED to be circumcised at 11 because of foreskin problems,and it was soooo traumatic for him. Better to circumcise at birth!"

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Yeah, that is just weird. No doubt this kid will have circumcision recommended as the course of treatment - let's just hope this clueless sounding mom doesn't agree.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As weird as it might not be I am actually wondering where does this belief come from that ALL boys from age 6 or 7 should start washing themselves by pulling back the skin?<br><br>
And this is doctor giving advice about washing penis?<br><i>It is not necessary to retract the foreskin for cleaning on children until the age of six. This is because the foreskin is naturally stuck to the glans penis and, in some children, remains this way until five or six years. From this age, it is important to start gently retracting the foreskin when bathing or showering to allow for proper cleaning.<br><br>
At first it may be a little difficult, so using <b>plenty of soap and water</b> is useful. Allow for drying. Sometimes a little <b>vaseline</b> can help. In some children, it may take many attempts to achieve retraction and this should not be forced or hurried. Rarely, a congenital condition exists where the foreskin cannot be retracted. If this is the case by the age of seven years, then circumcision may be advised. Circumcision would be particularly indicated if there is balanitis. Balanitis is recurrent inflammation and infection of the foreskin.</i><br><br>
Plenty soap and vaseline????????<br><br>
Here's another one, this is a UK site!<br><a href="http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/phimosis.htm" target="_blank">http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/phimosis.htm</a><br><i>Half of all three-year-olds can pull back their foreskin.</i><br><br>
Where do they get these figures from?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I don't understand why having the foreskin still attached at 5 is okay, but at 6 it's not, & at 7 he needs to be circumcised. I mean, I know it's a totaly arbitrary number, I'm just wondering why the doc choose that particular age - where is he/she getting this from? Why would he/she think a boy would all the sudden start getting infections at age 7? Wierd, & stupid.<br><br>
The question scared me, too. Gross. I wonder if she asked for a show & tell?

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
The only thing I can think of is maybe the kid himself was concerned, and went to mom about it. I think an 11 yo would *really* have to think it was broken to ask his mother, though!

·
Registered
876 Posts
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>paquerette</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">The only thing I can think of is maybe the kid himself was concerned, and went to mom about it. I think an 11 yo would *really* have to think it was broken to ask his mother, though!</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
the boy might have thought something was wrong, and gone to his *father* first....<br><br>
i know if i had embarrassing physical problems, i went to mom first, but dad was always informed. i'm his child. as embarrassing as it might have been for me at the time, he cares about me and would wonder why i went to the doctor and if everything was okay.<br><br>
i would sincerely hope that if my son felt something was *wrong* with his penis, he would go to his father, first, and that i would be informed of his concerns so that i can help.<br><br>
as for the measurement thing....who knows, could just be that the parent wants to give as much information as possible, and is trying to make the description as detailed as they can. it's one thing to go straight to the doctor's office. it's another to ask a physician online.<br><br>
sorry. guess i just didn't see anything weird about the question.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Nathan1097</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I'm just wondering what in the world they're doing measuring his penis- in inches AND centemeters!</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
That kinda stood out to me too.<br>
I've changed my nephew's diapers many times, but I could honestly never even try to guess [why would I want to?] how big their penis' [what's the plural of penis?] are. WEIRD.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
The measuring does bother me, maybe a troll?<br><br>
There are many boys that cannot go to their fathers about this.<br><br>
The poster did not mention were the father was or if he was the father. This could be why he notice these specific things. Also there are many other post by men so I would be leaning towards maybe a man was asking this question.<br><br>
Also could this be a case that the father doesn't know himself. My dh would be totally clueless and have to ask me. My husband doesn't have a forskin so he does not know what is normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts