Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't figure it out. My allergies are HORRIBLE right now. My nose and ears are stopped up and I also have this horrendous cough. Got checked by the doc and he says it is allergies, not a virus/bacteria, but if I don't get better in a few days I may have a secondary infection. So far I am on Lodrane and a cough suppresant but it isn't working. I really don't want to be on these. Oh, I also do a saline spray up the nose but that doesn't seem to be working either...do it 2x a day.

I tried Hyland's Hephar Sulpher C (sp?) for cough, and I just can't be consistent enough with it to know if it actually works. Did it work for you?

Is there anything that you took for your allergies that helped, that is also kosher with breastfeeding? I am at a loss here. I've heard Claritin-D and Tessalon Pearls could help, but it seems they may interfere with supply. However, I am at a point where this is going on on week 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
789 Posts
I've taken regular Claritin. Benadryl is also safe, but it's likely to make you drowsy so if you co-sleep you might not want to after taking it. Sudafed (or Claritin plus Sudafed) is safe for the baby, but it could impact your supply. If you don't have supply issues in general though, it probably wouldn't hurt as long as you aren't taking it on a regular basis. I've also found that a neti pot helps at least for a few hours.

For your cough... I've taken over the counter Robitussin, but it sounds like you need something stronger. Someone else might be able to double check, but I'm pretty sure cough syrup with codeine is safe for bf-ing, but I might be confusing that with pregnancy.

· Registered
2,185 Posts
ITA w/PP on the Claritin for allergy relief. Something is getting me too right now!

For the cough, I have been taking Umcka and using "Little Remedies" Vaporub.

For the congestion, try a Neti Pot... can't seem to find mine right now - its driving me crazy!!!

· Premium Member
1,595 Posts
When I get really bad, I do Afrin nasal spray for a day, while I take fenugreek to boost my supply, then I take sudafed. I try to only do one or the other at night when I need to sleep. When I took sudafed without the fenugreek, my supply took a huge hit (though I got my period right after, too, so that might have been a compounding factor).

I feel you. When I got a cold, I did Afrin for a whole week, then I stopped and took sudafed for two days, then I was fine. I get rebound congestion from the afrin, but being able to breathe is SO WORTH IT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.