Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something about them that I just don't care for. It just seems like another gimick to me. My mom says "oh, Amy, your neice really learned to read using her Leapfrog thing." My brother and SIL apparently didn't do much sitting and reading with her when she was little but by the end of her kindergarten year she reads at a 6th grade level. Leapfrog had a great deal to do with it as far as my mama is concerned. Everyone thinks I'm a toy nazi anyway
and I have hard time explaining why I don't like junky toys when all these new plasticy toys are "just so great!".

So, chime in please...
Does Leapfrog REALY help put your child ahead of the game more so than say, actually sitting and reading regularly together?

Oh also...
My mom worked in an elementary school a few years back that started using Leapfrog in class. They had some big training session for it. She uses that as a point when trying to argue pro-leapfrog.
amy

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Boy, alot of you sure chimmed in on this one! There seems to be folks on both sides of this. I found it interesting what Lillian said about the wooden toys and non-battery stuff being appealing to us and not necessarily to our kids. I wasn't particularly more attracted to 'natural' toys as a child, why should my son be. I was partial to my Lincoln Logs until my neighbor glued them together! I usually leave it up to the grandparents to buy those things. That's what I'll do here I suppose...
Anyway, I think I need to relax a bit and quit being a...
*TOY TYRANT*
I hope that this terminology works for everybody. I meant no offense to any particlar person or group of people. I was trying to use a word as an illustration. In fact I was making a negative comment about my self. Sorry for it.

amy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.