Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the title is the question! So, I'm curious...I try to get a pretty good sampling for me and DS every morning, a whole grain/oatmeal, a healthy fat, some limited dairy like yogurt or a slice of cheese, and some fresh fruit. We do eat some meat, but most traditional breakfast meats are too processed for me. I'm feeling a little burned out though...so.....

What do you consider the perfect breakfast?

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
For me, the perfect breakfast is eggs, maybe with the addition of vegetables. I don't do well on carbs in the mornings (they make me sleepy plus they incite cravings for more and more carbs which causes me to gain weight) and I don't do well on grains at all. I occasionally have small portions of grains, with plenty of fat and protein, at NIGHT, when the "side effect" of sleepiness is desirable.

DD1 does best with some kind of dairy products plus fruit or veggies for breakfast. This morning we shared a spinach omelette, but normally we eat different things at breakfast time.

DD2 usually wants OJ or a smoothie for breakfast- she's just not hungry for solid foods first thing in the morning. On days she starts with juice, she'll usually have eggs or cereal an hour or so later.

DS usually has cereal in the morning- either corn flakes with milk or instant oatmeal. It might not be "ideal" nutritionally, but he doesnt' have any ill effects from it and IMO it's more important that he eat SOMETHING before he has a blood sugar crash. He does equally well with eggs or cereal for breakfast.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
These can all be made ahead. The corned beef I make ahead and toss in a pan to heat it up, but the others I eat cold:
Egg muffins (eggs, veggie, meat, cheese baked in a muffin tin)
Egg custard (eggs, honey, berries baked in a ramekin)
Corned beef hash (homemade) with eggs

When I have time:
bacon and eggs
omelet
baked omelet

You can make your own breakfast sausage without the nasty additives. I like to fry them up in patties and stash them in the fridge, eat them cold.

ETA - for me, I have to have protein for breakfast. I can have some carbs in the forms of fruit, potatoes, etc., but if I don't have protein, I'll suffer for it all day. A breakfast of oatmeal just wipes me out.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I make quiche cups with eggs and veggies, and a bit of cheese. I think they're just about perfect for me. I have two (they're made in muffin cups) and they hold me right till lunch - I usually don't even need a snack.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm off eggs right now, and since I am pregnant I am trying to make sure I get enough protein. After trying various breakfast foods, it seems like my best breakfasts are either homemade granola (oats, pecans, pumpkin seeds, and a little oil and maple syrup) with goat's milk, or baked oatmeal with milk or yogurt, flaxseed, a little honey or maple syrup if you want.

I also tried a few baked French toast recipes... basically milk mixed with flour to thicken it, some spices (cinnamon and nutmeg), maybe some maple syrup, soak the bread in it, and then either top with chopped nuts or another one I found you put cream cheese and chopped nuts in between two layers of batter-dipped bread. I thought this might be nice with almond butter in the middle instead, but I haven't tried that yet.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
I find I feel best and maintain my energy best throughout the day if I have lots of protein, fruits or vegetables and fluids first thing in the morning. It may sound odd, but my favorite breakfast is a bowl of homemade soup loaded with beans and vegetables with a cup of tea.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Like Shantimama, I like food that isn't your typical breakfast fare. My fav is cold chicken or turkey, but any leftovers from dinner works. Spicy food is great to pep me up and get me going in the morning

The kids usually eat a hot cereal of mixed grains sometimes with sausage too.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I guess I'm the odd one out in saying that I feel my best with something rich in (good) carbs--millet and amaranth with butter or buckwheat or rice porridge. When I eat eggs I feel hungry again within an hour.

That said, I don't think a bowl full of cereal is the ideal breakfast for everyone--IMO, the "perfect" breakfast varies from person to person.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
A mix of oatmeal and oatbran mixed into a shredded apple simmered in water with some cinnamon. Stir in a small handful of chopped raw almonds. Add a big spoonful of ground flax. Top with lots of berries.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
These are some love
- egg, spinach, & cheese scramble with ww toast
- ww pancakes with strawberries and/or blueberries, yogurt
- egg, avocado, & cheese with ww toast
- yogurt, granola, & fruit

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I have to do a smoothie in the morning.

Dh and Dd do well on anything in the morning. Cereal is their favorite.

Ds does best with protien and fruit. This morning it was yogurt and 1/2 a banana.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
I don't like sweet stuff for breakfast, and I'm not usually in the mood for stuff like oatmeal, but I find I can eat something like oat bran if I make it savory. Sometimes I'll put in a little butter, a lot of freshly ground rosemary and some salt and pepper. And if I add an over medium egg on top of the whole thing, yum.

This morning I had a high fiber vegan muffin...and some chili made with meat.

I don't know what a perfect breakfast is, but I know there are certain breakfasts that fill me up for most of the day, and those involve fat, protein and starch. Not healthy carbs, starchy carbs. I can eat a salad for breakfast, however, if it has protein and some fat, and that will go a long way, however.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
I find I feel best and maintain my energy best throughout the day if I have lots of protein, fruits or vegetables and fluids first thing in the morning. It may sound odd, but my favorite breakfast is a bowl of homemade soup loaded with beans and vegetables with a cup of tea.
Soup sounds like a good well balanced breakfast if you make it yourself and add different food groups to it. I might try that myself.

I used to eat cereal but seemed to get stomach ache due to all the milk fluid mixed with the solid cereal....just doesn't sit well with me, not since I've been an adult anyway. Plus cereals can be high in sugar which gives you an initial energy boost but you are soon crashing and really tired.

Oatmeal is really filling, but for some reason, maybe because it's a grain ? like other people have said, it makes me feel really sleepy too. I think sometimes carbs do that to me too.

Eggs are good but I don't have them anymore due to DS being allergic so I try to avoid having them in the house.

Im not usually hungry first thing in the morning, and don't bother eating breakfast anymore. Once I find a "nutritionally perfect breakfast" which is free from dairy, eggs, gluten, grains, and sugar, then I'll have breakfast again! Maybe soup would be good for me? Anyone else think it could be made so it's "nutritonally perfect" as a breakfast meal?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.