Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here subscribes/reads it and whether you like it, find it helpful, worth the $$, etc.<br><br>
thanks.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I used to subscribe and might again. I definitely recommend subscribing for at least a year. After that, it could get repetitive... there are only so many descriptions of composting techniques that most people want to read, kwim? It's a pretty ethical read, too -- no ads from anti-organic practices businesses. And if you're just getting started gardening, it's an excellent source for seed catalog -- check out their advertisers in the back. You can also check out their web site at organicgardening.com. They've had a number of key personnel and format changes over the last five years and I feel that it's a bit "dumbed down," (IOW, it reads like it's pitched to a lower reading level than, say, <span style="text-decoration:underline;">Mothering</span> is, and the writing isn't as good) but to me the content is still valuable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I actually just ordered this magazine. I like the idea of organic veggies. I'm totally committed to having an organic garden this year and I knew I would need some help and encouragement. I hope i'm not disappointed.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
I do subscribe. I like it quite a bit and just renewed my subscription. The articles are informative and to the point. They list sources and do reviews of products, and invite readers to submit photos and letters about their gardens. They usually feature new and heirloom varieties of plants and rate them on their actual performance in their test gardens. They give an environmental watchdog item in each issue, items on birding, and lots more...<br><br>
The only thing I wish is if it had a few more articles and/or issues per year for the $$$.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
since it split with 'organic living' or whatever that is (and deciding to send *that* to the female subscribers, instead of og! oh, that pissed me off. last time i subscribed), i think it has gone downhill, way too slim for one thing. i miss the old mag. i prefer 'countryside journal' now, & the old 'mother earth news' is still good. oh, maria, what were you thinking?<br><br>
suse

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I know I know....<br><br><br>
Ugh!! We sell this one in my shop and so I see every issue. The new editor is not a gardener. At least she was not when she joined on. She might be now...<br><br>
I dont really care for OG anymore, I prefer The Weeders Digest, for gardeners by gardeners. Plus the editor is a SUPER cool guy!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, this is the kind of info I needed. Where do you get Weeder's Digest? I haven't seen it.<br><br>
You know, I recall reading OG about 7 or 8 years ago and even then remember it seeming....yuppified; not grassroots. Well, I'll give it a read when I get my free issue.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Not weeders digest, I meant green prints. Green Prints puts out the weeders digest once a year.<br><br>
it is not a "how to" mag per se but rather a collection of drawings, articles and ponderings BY gardeners. No glossy pages or fancy ads. Just a compilation of garden related musings with a sense of humor. We really enjoy them and try to support them. In fact, we send out one of thier flyers will all of our mail order boxes of plants.<br><br>
If you want how to...horticulture mag or fine gardening is good but not organic necessarily.<br><br>
The dirt doctor has a mag and I have never tried it. I may this year just to see. He is organic and I have liked his advice when I have looked stuff up with him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts