Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Kah-ti-rah I realize that there is NO WAY this is the correct pronunciation, but I'm one of those people who glances and then jumps to pronunciation so I thought I'd be honest about what I thought is was. Kah-ti-rah sounds futuristic as you suggeted. I find Kay-trah (as others have pronounced it) sort of hard to say, sort of forced rather than smooth off the tongue. Curious if you are thinking boy or girl for this name?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Girl.

Yeah, I thought I did make it up. But, it is a country! LOL

I don't really like it so much. But I've always wanted to call a little girl Katey. I just need a full name! I don't like Kathleen, Katherine was taken by my sister for her dd's middle name, the hurricane ruined Katrina for me and Katelyn is really popular. Although, that's the one we'll fall back on. I was just hoping for a more unique name.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
my instinct is to pronounce it "kye-tra"....but maybe that's because my daughter's name is kaiya & we call her kai.

i agree with the previous post....kate is a great, strong, feminine name & she can always be called katie.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My first thought was "Kite-raw".

And whether I think a name is too weird or not, depends on whether the person plans on sending their kid to public school. If not, they can probably get away with anything, like Moon Unit (ha); but if SO, I would err on the side of caution cause little kids find ANYTHING to pick on others about and it's really damaging. (Trust me, ha)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the honest opinions. I kind of feel the same way about it as you all said - sounds made up and futuristic.

Kate doesn't seem long enough for a full name to me, I know it is but I have all these silly rules in my head which makes it very difficult to name a baby! LOL Plus, all my kids have a long name (at least 3 syllables) with a nn that falls from their full name.

Katey is too nickname-ish to be her full name. Perhaps I should start looking at names that go well with Kate and have two first names to make it fuller sounding...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
When I first read it, thought it would sound like:

Kay-truh

I actually like it, though Kate (and all the variations & spellings) is a really common name... and she may end up being called Kate as a nickname.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I thought it was pronounced Kate-Rah. It's not a bad name, but it's not one of my favorites either.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I really like Kaitrah. And I've always loved the name Kate, but I agree that it seems kinda short and plain as a first name. I like Anna Kate, and Caitlyn even though it has become too popluar lately.

ETA: I actually thought it said Ka-tee-rah at first glance too, until I really looked at it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts