Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bumboseat.com/adwords/bumbowords1.html

They look pretty neat....Julianna is very much an in arms baby - but there are times when I've just got to put her down (and as she gets older she seems to like it more). She doesn't really like the bouncy seat or swing, because they lean back - she is always struggling to lift herself upwards. Wondering if this might be a good solution?

Has anyone used anything like this?

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
We have one and found it very handy, especially at swimming lessons--for when mom or dad is getting in or out of the pool.
We also used it a lot when we ate out, like your's, Molly wasn't happy leaning back and she really liked the Bumbo. Our chiropractor also thought it may have something to do with how nice and straight her back is. Also, she's a pretty bad refluxer and it helped because it held her torso straight.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
They're really popular. I think it would have been nice to have one there for awhile. Between 2 months and 3 1/2 months DS just wasn't happy unless he was sitting up completely. He was always trying to pull himself up if I set him in the swing or bouncy seat. I held him a lot, but I couldn't all the time, ya know? Luckily he sat unassisted really early and he was happy after that.

We didn't have the money to buy one or I might have.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Everyone talks about these Bumbo seats as if they are the best thing ever and like they are a necessity. I think they are cool looking and I'm sure Lexi would love it, but I'm no going to spend $50 on a foam chair that really isn't going to used for long. I would think that once a babe can sit by theselves the chair would be confining and useless. Just my take on it though...

·
Registered
285 Posts
sherra--that's a cool exersaucer!

We have a bumbo and love it! I use it every time I make something to eat in the kitchen, he sits on the counter and watches everything and chews on his teething toy. I got it because I have a friend who is pg and will pass it on to her soon. DS is 4 mos and has very chubby legs, not sure how much longer he can use it, but have really gotten our money's worth out of it, even if he only uses it for 2 mos. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My ds is 8 months old (today!), and we still use it. Now mostly for when I need to use the bathroom. Our floors are ceramic, and although he is a strong sitter, if he's tired and clumsy, he sometimes topples over from sitting. It may only be useful for short while (we got it when he was 4 months, I think), and for short periods, but that's the way with some baby things... Those times that we have used it have been very helpful. The key is how lightweight and portable it is and the lack of straps, so it's great for safe, quick seating needs.

Do a search - there was a thread a while back, with the word bumbo in the title. I remember there being a lot of input.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
we borrowed one from a friend. It was cool until he could sit by himself, and then extraneous. Not as uncool as I had thought, though. They are kind of foamy-soft, rather than hard plastic. The babe wouldn't sit in it long - my vote goes to the saucer too - wish I could have one!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Quote:
wish I could have one!

You know, I think I enjoy her toys more than her lol. I got so much enjoyment watching her in this thing discovering all the little gadgets.

I honestly never used the bumbo. With how my daughter is, fidgety and loves to be on the move, I don't think she'd have liked it. But all babies are not the same of course.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My daughter is almost a year and still plays with her Bumbo. she puts toys in and out of it and climbs on it. But no, I wouldn't call it a necessity. But then again, a lot of stuff we have for her isn't - but it's fun!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Love love love ours, DS is 9 mos old and can get himself out of it now but we still use it daily. He didn't like bouncy chairs and stopped liking his swing at 6 months but will still sit in the bumbo for long enough for me to run to the bathroom (he can sit up by himself but the bathroom floor is hard and if he's not contained he tries to climb into the tub), plus he uses it as a walker (don't ask) a storage place for toys and a musical instrument and teether. Best 40 bucks I spent on baby stuff, and FWIW for us the bumbo has gotten a lot more use than the excersaucer or the bouncy chair and at least as much use as the swing or pack and play got. Of course every baby is different so if you can, try one before buying but if your baby prefers to sit up and the bouncy chair is too reclined she might like a bumbo better. I love the softness of it, I wish they made a high chair with a bumbo like seat, it cleans up really easily and is soft and padded without having to have annoying padding to wash.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
I hate to be contrary...but it seems to me a little inapropriate to put a baby in a sitting position like that when they aren't doing it by themselves. I never had one of those seats..when I had to put my son down...I did....on a blanket on the floor. We have an exersaucer now but he didn't really start using it until he was almost sitting anyways.
I am sure that the bumbo is conveinant, and I know that some doctors recommend them, but they seem really unateral to me.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanessagreene
I hate to be contrary...but it seems to me a little inapropriate to put a baby in a sitting position like that when they aren't doing it by themselves. I never had one of those seats..when I had to put my son down...I did....on a blanket on the floor. We have an exersaucer now but he didn't really start using it until he was almost sitting anyways.
I am sure that the bumbo is conveinant, and I know that some doctors recommend them, but they seem really unateral to me.
I agree.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Quote:

I also allowed my baby to stand with support even though she couldnt' do it herself. I allowed her to recline at a 45 degree angle in the carseat and she still can't get to that position on her own.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
I also allowed my baby to stand with support even though she couldnt' do it herself. I allowed her to recline at a 45 degree angle in the carseat and she still can't get to that position on her own.
I am totally not trying to put you down. When you hold your baby and stand it up...are you not holding him/her? The carseat is a safety issue, of course you use it. So do I.
All I am saying is in my mind it seems unreasonable to make a baby sit up in a chair when they are so young. Also, an ad I read for the bumbo said something about doctors recommending it for proper spine alignment, trunk muscle development etc. I don't think babies need a bumbo to develop properly. I resent anything that may make parents believe that.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Vanessa, thank you for being brave enough to say what I've been thinking but afraid to say it; here or anywhere else online. I see over and over again people raving about the "Bumbo" seat and to me I just think they're freakish. The thought of a little baby too young to sit on their own being stuck into that hard plastic with cuff-like leg grips to hold their legs down is very distasteful, IMO. And, yes, to me they are absolutely unnatural. I can't imagine paying money for something like that, much less putting a child into it.

Just because children seem to enjoy something doesn't mean it's a good idea.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Everybody uses different things to help them parent. Obviously some people use and love their bumbo seats. For others, they just wouldn't work.

If you're drawn to it and it looks like it would fit your parenting style/ needs, go try one out in the store and see how baby likes it.

If you don't like it, that's okay too. We're not forced to buy anything. Very few of the things we have for our children are NECESSARY. Some things help to keep our children safe or help us to care for our children better.

Maybe you can find one 2nd hand at a consignment store or on freecycle if you're interested in one but don't want to pay full price.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Quote:

I am totally not trying to put you down. When you hold your baby and stand it up...are you not holding him/her? The carseat is a safety issue, of course you use it. So do I.
All I am saying is in my mind it seems unreasonable to make a baby sit up in a chair when they are so young. Also, an ad I read for the bumbo said something about doctors recommending it for proper spine alignment, trunk muscle development etc. I don't think babies need a bumbo to develop properly. I resent anything that may make parents believe that.
I fail to see the difference developmentally between me holding her in a position and a seat holding her in a position. Nobody has recomended sticking the baby in the seat and leaving it there for hours on end. You say you lay your babe on a towel or blanket on the floor as if that is superior to placing the baby in a seat for the short period of time you can't hold him/her. That's just wonderful but my baby would scream blue murder if I layed her down on a blanket while I went to the bathroom or showered, she's happy in a seat where she can look around so this is a far superior parenting choice for me--I for one would far prefer a happy baby to one who was screaming in the correct position for her age.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.