Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about having an oil portrait painted of him. I contacted a local artist, who quoted me $1800 for a 12"x16" painting, and I said to myself, that's crazy!! So I decided to draw him myself. Maybe I'll get around to painting him myself someday. What do you think? I think the proportions are slightly wonky, and I'm not crazy about his neck, but I only spent two hours on it, and I didn't work on the neck a whole lot.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../austin119.jpg

· Registered
20,366 Posts
You did a great job

· Registered
476 Posts
Are you self taught? I think you did a great job!!! Do you think maybe using colored pencil would be a good start rather than painting? To me painting is intimidating but I love watercolor pencils, colored pencils and drawing pencils.

NICE JOB!!!

· Registered
3,017 Posts
Aw I love it! Very tallented.

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesa View Post
thank you! It was an ordinary yellow #2.
I thought so. You need a better pencil. Pick up an ebony pencil, and I think you'll see a real difference. Btw, I thought it was very solid for a first try with a no. 2 pencil.

· Registered
6,205 Posts
looking good! It's funny how much perceived value of art can vary. I sell my paintings for a pretty low price, and I'm wondering if that doesn't say to people that I don't value my work, but for a painting that size on a good quality wood board I'd end up charging maybe $180, not $1800! I paint in acrylic though, which is generally somewhat less expensive. I have only been painting under 3 years, but I do a pretty good job of it

· Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Holy crap that is AMAZING! I wish I could draw like that! I wish I could draw a straight line! Or even a curvy one! Wow, I am in awe of your awesomeness.

· Registered
18 Posts
Good texture. The crosshatching lines add to the realistic fur look. Try to add more shadows to create contrast. There isn't a full range of value yet. When you add a full range of value, you create something known as contrast which is a vital principle of design that is often used in art to create good compositions. Careful with the highlights as well. Be sure to remove ALL outlines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.