Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/spec...&storyid=56892

Quote:
BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) - A Boca Raton woman is suing a restaurant that asked her to leave after other diners complained about her breast-feeding her infant.

A Hillstone spokesman says the Bertucci's demands have been several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Glenn Viers adds that the company has apologized for their mistake and reimbursed the family.

The lawsuit claims that requiring Bertucci to leave violated her right to breast-feed her baby anywhere, as is stated in state law. She claims the conduct of the restaurant employees was negligent and reckless, and is suing for infliction of emotional distress.
Do you think she should sue and get money for this?

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
I would need more info before deciding. The company may have "apoligized" but, before they did, put her through hell. It's possible they dragged her through the mud in the media or things like that. So I would need to read more of the story to decide.

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
heres a more indepth story on the matter:

http://www.nrn.com/breakingNews.aspx?id=341714

Quote:
Bertucci filed the suit, in the 15th Judicial Court of Palm Beach County, largely to raise public awareness of mothers' right to breastfeed their children in public, said her attorney, Andrew Smith. He added that he and his client had not yet decided how much in compensation they will seek, but Hillstone spokesman Glenn Viers said the suit asks for hundreds of thousands of dollars in paymen

Quote:
"The company has admitted wrong doing and has apologized and has sent her check refunding the family's meal for $150. But to date their position has been that their apology should suffice," he said.
Perhaps she wants them to change their company policy and employee training and they refusing to do so?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I would probably donate the money to my local LLL...

I'm with PP..would depend on how badly they treated her...the whole story. But I don't think hundres of thousands would be necessary...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Maybe if she wins, more public places out there will be more accommodating and stop harassing breastfeeding mothers. I think she should sue, but I would donate money to help the breastfeeding cause (outside of my costs). But hundreds of thousands of dollars is a bit much.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
I think this is the woman who was actually covered with a blanket and the dinner was for her other child's birthday.

It has been awhile since this happened. I think the pp is right that she is looking for a statement of policy change and training of employees and not a "Gee, sorry...here is a gift card for the resturant we harrassed you from."
: If they would agree to the above change/training, I think she would settle. Suing for $$$ will get the resturant's attention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.