Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just started CDing and we are going to the pool tomorrow. Dd hasn't been in the pool yet other than to dip her feet but it is super hot here and I'm thinking I will need to get in the big pool and hold her. I hate to buy a package of commercial swim diapers since I could buy a new CD for that price! Plus it seems silly to buy anything disposable now

Can I just put on a pocket diaper w/ no insert? It would hold poop and a tiny bit of pee (which is basically how a disposable swim diaper works). Or would the chlorine and other chemicals (which I'm avoiding by using cloth!) ruin the fabric? I am thinking I could just rinse it out immediately afterward as I do my swimsuit.

I do not own any plastic or rubber pants/diaper covers.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I've used an unstuffed Fuzzi Bunz with no trouble; you might want to try a smaller size than your DC is currently in, if having no insert in there makes it gape at the legs. One thing, though: if you use a pocket diaper with no swimsuit over it, it's possible for the pocket to fill up with water and weight the child down, causing a drowning hazard. You can put a swimsuit on, and I think that will prevent this from happening.

As far as the chlorine goes, rinse the diaper out well in cold water as soon as possible after swimming, and it should be fine. You might notice a bit of color fading, though. No different from a swimsuit, really.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I love the mother-ease swim diaper we've got for DD - it fits like a dream !

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
You could use a pocket or cover in a size she's outgrown. That's what I did when she was tiny. Now we use cloth swim diapers. They even have some at Target.

-Angela

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I use a LL shell without the snap in since I don't use it as a reg diaper I don't worry about chlorine. I am going to buy an actual swim diaper or two from target or somewhere before we leave on vacation cause and then I'll just wash them with the swimsuits.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by romans_mum
check your pools rules, some (unfortunatly) demand only disposible swim diapers.
The place we take swim lessons used to do this- we used our cloth anyway.... and now they only allow NON-disposable...

-Angela

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
I use an AIO from Sunflower Derrieres without the lay-in soaker.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I used a Bummis super whisper wrap with no prefold. DD was a little one at birth (5.5lbs), and even now at 4months she is only 12lbs . . . so, not even big enough for the smallest size of disposable swim dipes. The Bummis cover worked like a charm, though!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
ha i didn't know that people used them unstuffed so i was using a stuffed fuzzibun in the pool. the only thing is that i had to wring it out later. ha i'm sure people thought that was gross. i figure dilution is the sollution when it comes to pee so why not. i think i will just use a bummis cover or a cloth swim diaper with the next.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
the only thing swim diapers really stop is poop.....of course in bf babies some sort of stuffing is kinda good since the liquid nature of our poops.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have some Imse Vimse, a kushies tie/velcro one and some iPlay ones, really the iPlay ones are cheap and just fine.

As for why I have so many
Most of them are hand me downs

I've also used a bummis wrap but I'm not sacrificing a fuzzi bunz to the chlorine gods

·
Registered
92 Posts
How would the pool staff know what kind of diaper your child is wearing? OK everyone, time for a diaper check. Please remove your child's swimsuit so we can check to see if they are wearing the right kind of diaper.

Our pool rules say that children have to wear cloth diapers and plastic pants
but that the disposable ones are also acceptable.

We bought some disposables last year before we started CD and still have some left over. They were too big last year so they fit OK now. I will not buy anymore though! We have also used a pocket diaper with a thin insert or a prefold a couple of times. My DS also wears swimtrunks over, so I think anything that can catch poop should be fine. I'm not worried about the extra weight since he's only 16 months and isn't swimming on his own anyway.

Tina

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by romans_mum
the only thing swim diapers really stop is poop.....of course in bf babies some sort of stuffing is kinda good since the liquid nature of our poops.
And she no longer has BF baby poop since she is on solids. She has always had some digestive issues (reflux, weird peanut butter poop) though even when ebf. So it won't leak for sure.

I'll just use the Wonderoos I got off of Ebay. I don't like how they fit but they'll make good swim diapers!

Thanks a million!!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I bought swim trunks with the "diaper" built in from target. They are not pee-proof but they supposedly hold in a poo (he hasn't pooped in it yet). I think it cost round $5-$6 or so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts